NA
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
15 January 2015
Med's Request
24 January 2015
Med's Done....
07 February 2015 MEDICALS RECEIVED 15 FEB [PP BIO PAGES,PCC,MR,RPRF ONLINE RECEIPT SENT ON 9TH FEB 2015]
Interview........
Waived Insha Allah
Passport Req..
DECISION MADE 21 MARCH 2015 , PPR 16 APRIL , PP SUBMITTED 16 APRIL
VISA ISSUED...
SOON IN SHAA ALLAH
LANDED..........
END OF MAY IN SHAA ALLAH
Hi Guys
Now its time that I apply for Citizenship.
I wanted to know the process for India Citizens apply for Canadian Citizens?
Also I know you have to get your Indian Citizenship renounced, my problem is both my wife and my passports are expiring in sep 2018 which I am sure that it will expire in the time the process happens.
Do i renew my Indian passport first before applying as I read some where you have to pay a hefty fine.
Is a renunciation certificate required for canadian citizenship application.

Thanks in Advance

farhansk

Star Member
Aug 25, 2013
INDIA
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10 JULY 2014
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
7 November 2014
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
15 January 2015
Med's Request
24 January 2015
Med's Done....
07 February 2015 MEDICALS RECEIVED 15 FEB [PP BIO PAGES,PCC,MR,RPRF ONLINE RECEIPT SENT ON 9TH FEB 2015]
Interview........
Waived Insha Allah
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
SOON IN SHAA ALLAH
LANDED..........
END OF MAY IN SHAA ALLAH

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi Guys
Also I know you have to get your Indian Citizenship renounced, my problem is both my wife and my passports are expiring in sep 2018 which I am sure that it will expire in the time the process happens.
Do i renew my Indian passport first before applying as I read some where you have to pay a hefty fine.

Thanks in Advance

1. Your choice to renew or not. No passport, no travel.
2. No you don't have to renounce your Indian citizen before you apply for Canadian citizenship (not allowed, you can't deliberately make yourself stateless)
3. Once you have your Canadian citizenship, then you go through the OCI for renunciation.

farhansk

Star Member
Aug 25, 2013
INDIA
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10 JULY 2014
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
7 November 2014
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
15 January 2015
Med's Request
24 January 2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived Insha Allah
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
SOON IN SHAA ALLAH
LANDED..........
END OF MAY IN SHAA ALLAH
Hi

1. Your choice to renew or not. No passport, no travel.
2. No you don't have to renounce your Indian citizen before you apply for Canadian citizenship (not allowed, you can't deliberately make yourself stateless)
3. Once you have your Canadian citizenship, then you go through the OCI for renunciation.

Thanks PMM
So even if I renounce my citizenship after I get my canadian Citizenship and my passport has expired by then I will have no fine to pay

maverickdexter

Star Member
May 30, 2018
Hi Guys

Thanks in Advance
Yes I would renew the Indian Passport as it is expiring in 3 months. That way I dont have to worry about updating the new passport details while the citizenship application is in process.....and I will have a valid travel document in case I need to travel...

zzzzzzzz

Star Member
Sep 28, 2016
Definitely renew your passport. Any travel outside Canada will require it, and you might never know how long it'll take to process your application. Even if the question was about renewing your PR card, I'd do it. Freedom of mobility can always come in handy.
And I don't think you can escape the fee to renounce your citizenship. Don't you have any family in India or any reason to ever visit the country again? They'd cause you issues at immigration. They specifically write on your passport that the holder of the passport should renounce their citizenship in case they acquire citizenship of another country.

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
Yes I would renew the Indian Passport as it is expiring in 3 months. That way I dont have to worry about updating the new passport details while the citizenship application is in process.....and I will have a valid travel document in case I need to travel...
You don't have to pay any fines for not having renewed your Indian passport. If the Indian passport expired before you even applied for the Canadian Citizenship, you would just have to add a cover letter saying that you let the Indian passport expire and that you did not acquire any other travel documents.

You need to renew the Indian passports if and only if you would have to travel during the process of the citizenship application.

Once you have the Canadian Citizenship, your Indian passport is invalid, yet you would have to formally "renounce" the already invalid passport before you get an Indian temporary visa or a longer term visa (some times referred to as OCI, for whatever reason!)