+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP !! I'm worried , please help !!

OnEGaMeR

Dec 12, 2010
hi..
I took the IELTS exam yesterday.
However, in the task 2 writing 250 words , the question was: "cars are being used more and more, do you think that the advantages of people owning a car overweigh its disadvantages on the environment?"

but the problem is that I wrote somthing else!!because I didn't get the meaning of the questoin.
I wrote about disadvantages of the increase of cars in the future :( I wrote about traffic and accidents !
I'm worried about the results because i need it for my college.
So please can anyone tell me how much i will lose marks for this ??

oh just to tell you :

1-I wrote 270 words.
2-Just a few mistakes.
3-I used some Good vocabulary.
4-included an introduction + supporting sentences + conclusion.

VKulesh

Dec 8, 2010
Well... Fist of all, I can say that I completely understand you because same thing happened to me. My essay was about the effect of on-line shopping on environment and different types of jobs. I wrote about the effects on financial/social environments but luckily I managed to write about the second part of question (at I think so). I also described my problem here and people said that I still can pull a nice band.

However I tend to be a realistic person and continue to show some skepticism about the band that I will achieve(almost certain that I will be repeating the IELTS).

From my point of view lets hope for the best, you can get a nice band.
As you said, your essay is more than 250 words, only few mistakes, plus good vocabulary and structure.

I will receive my results this Friday afternoon, than I could post my results here, perhaps it will give you some kind of idea what to expect.

Sarmad.abbasi

Star Member
Jun 6, 2010
Good luck to both of you .

Well I will be giving my IELTS in the next attempt. Can you please share your experience on reading, listening and speaking?

VKulesh

Dec 8, 2010
Sure why not, well for me listening is the most easiset one but concentration is the key. Normally I am scoring around 37 out of 40 but unfortunately due to some little distractions during the IELTS my score will be only around 30. The first part is quite simple however during my exam there were some gaps related to address and credit card number that ran very quickly and didn't repeat them(and I didn't get them). So once again concentration and speed are very important.

As far as reading perhaps it is the most difficult part for me because reading is not my passion. There are a lot of people saying that skimming and scanning are important and they are. However I found that reading the text deeply for the first time helped a lot in understanding the overall idea of the text but the time is always running so you better have a watch with yourself to control that time.

Speaking was the most terrifying for me because I didn't get a lot of practice.(mostly speaking to myself and trying to answer those questions). However, she (the examiner) was really nice and before the starting to record she said to me to calm down and everything will be fine. And that was what I really did, unexpectedly I didn't block at all during my exam. She asked a lot of questions... if I was studying or working, asked ne a lot question about the colours, what to they meant to me, I had to described piece of technology(described my microwave because wasn't been permitted to describe computer or notebook) and then discussion about effects of technology on society, job types (even some accident that could occur) and our life as an overall. I didn't finish my speech, she stopped me and said that unfortunately the time is up.

Now I am hoping to get 7.0 at listening, 6.0-7.0 at reading, writing no clue because I messed up, speaking at least 6.5 but will see.

Hope this help you in some way and good luck for your exam.

OnEGaMeR

Dec 12, 2010
VKulesh said:
Well... Fist of all, I can say that I completely understand you because same thing happened to me. My essay was about the effect of on-line shopping on environment and different types of jobs. I wrote about the effects on financial/social environments but luckily I managed to write about the second part of question (at I think so). I also described my problem here and people said that I still can pull a nice band.

However I tend to be a realistic person and continue to show some skepticism about the band that I will achieve(almost certain that I will be repeating the IELTS).

From my point of view lets hope for the best, you can get a nice band.
As you said, your essay is more than 250 words, only few mistakes, plus good vocabulary and structure.

I will receive my results this Friday afternoon, than I could post my results here, perhaps it will give you some kind of idea what to expect.

thanks , i hope we get a nice band , good luck for all of us :)
and please put your result here when u get it.
+ what band are you supposed to get ? for me it's band 5 ..

asad100101

Jun 28, 2010
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vkulesh, The level of English you have demonstrated here, you should not score less than 7.5 band, overall.

VKulesh

Dec 8, 2010
Once again, thank you for your opinion, I do appreciate it and without being over confident I do believe that my level of English proficiency is around Band 7.5. However the exam is a completely different situation. It is better to be careful, quick and well focused during the IELTS. For some reason if I will not achieve at least Band 7.0, I will repeat the exam without a doubt.

By the way I need at least 6.0 in writing because I want to apply for Masters Degree in Food Science/Technology or Nutrition (Haven't decided yet).

VKulesh

Dec 8, 2010
Well the results are out, as expected they are a little bit low and now I am thinking if results are sufficient to University application. I am considering to repeat IELTS in near future.

L:6.5 R:6 W:6 S:7 Overall :6.5

asad100101

Jun 28, 2010
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
6.5 is sufficient for most universities in Canada.

If you have enough time, give it one more shot.

If you want to save time and money then 6.5 band is enough.

However, my sincere advice is to repeat the test again and improve your score in R/W.

Are you applying for May or September intake?

VKulesh

Dec 8, 2010
Well, my first option is to apply for some universities from Europe. They actually have a little bit lower IELTS requirement which turns out good for me. I will apply for the autumn 2011 semester so I guess the IELTS will be repeated.

asad100101

Jun 28, 2010
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
this test result is valid for two years, if you don't score well in second attempt, you can always submit this. You have a win-win situation! :D