May 5, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
October 6 2015
Hi everybody,

I have question!!!
I arrived in Canada September 2013 under visitor visa, I got married in November and apply under program sponsorship on 3 January 2014.
I have extended my visa till 2015

My problem is that yesterday I found out I'm pregnant! My husband is Canadian
Can some help me, we don't know what to do!

We are in Quebec

Thanks

Cha2

Star Member
Mar 25, 2014
Dragana said:
Hi everybody,

I have question!!!
I arrived in Canada September 2013 under visitor visa, I got married in November and apply under program sponsorship on 3 January 2014.
I have extended my visa till 2015

My problem is that yesterday I found out I'm pregnant! My husband is Canadian
Can some help me, we don't know what to do!

We are in Quebec

Thanks
I'm sorry you are not quite clear, what is it you want us to help you with? Can you be more specific?

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think she is implying she wants to stay here, get her husband to sponsor her, have the baby here, become a permanent resident and eventually apply for Canadian citizenship

Cha2

Star Member
Mar 25, 2014
newtone said:
I think she is implying she wants to stay here, get her husband to sponsor her, have the baby here, become a permanent resident and eventually apply for Canadian citizenship
If that is what she is implying then she can do that since she already has her visa extended till 2015.

Dragana

Star Member
May 5, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
October 6 2015
Hi,

Yes we applied for sponsorship in January but I don't have any status jet so my medical is not cover!

Our problem is medical care for hospital all the test, giving birth...

What we can do?

Cha2

Star Member
Mar 25, 2014
Dragana said:
Hi,

Yes we applied for sponsorship in January but I don't have any status jet so my medical is not cover!

What we can do?
Since you do not have a medical coverage here in Canada you and your husband will have to pay out-of-pocket for all the doctor's visits, tests, ultrasounds and delivery. But another option is to see if you can buy insurance that will cover some of the expenses for you.
But if you and your husband incur out-of-pocket expenses, keep all the receipts because your husband can claim part of it when he files his next tax return.

Hope this helps...

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I don't think there is any insurance you can buy in Canada that will cover pregnancy -- it'll be classified as a pre-existing condition. One effect of universal health care is that private insurance tends to fill in little gaps, and is not really comprehensive. Pregnancy is not a profitable gap for insurance companies to insure -- they know that you'll make a huge charge nine months from now, and then cancel your insurance.

Cha2

Star Member
Mar 25, 2014
on-hold said:
I don't think there is any insurance you can buy in Canada that will cover pregnancy -- it'll be classified as a pre-existing condition. One effect of universal health care is that private insurance tends to fill in little gaps, and is not really comprehensive. Pregnancy is not a profitable gap for insurance companies to insure -- they know that you'll make a huge charge nine months from now, and then cancel your insurance.
Okay I did not know you can't buy insurance for pregnancy. Thanks for letting me know.
So I guess she will have to pay out-of -pocket though if she decides to remain and give birth in Canada...

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Wait, you should look first! That's just my guess, I haven't actually tried to find any. It might exist, or you might be able to find something that covers some high-risk situations, but not a normal birth. Normal birth in Canada can be pretty cheap, if you use a midwife and a birthing centre.

The thing about insurance companies, they make a profit by estimating your long-range costs, which are determined be demographics. Pregnancy, once it's here, is not long-range . . . It's the same reason that you can't wait until you have liver failure to buy insurance. Also, everyone in Canada is presumed to be covered by the health care system, or traveler's insurance. There's no reason to offer a private, highly-expensive option for a very few people.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is an insurance broker on this forum and he has said that no insurance covers child birth if you are already pregnant. You may however find one that covers unexpected complications. You should talk to some insurance brokers about your situation. You should definitely at least have a emergency and accident insurance for yourself while you are in Canada without health care.

You should also contact some midwife and ask her about your options.

cyberbobsa

May 19, 2012
Brampton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pls check this
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/how-much-will-it-cost-to-give-birth-wo-ohip-t139251.0.html

Cha2

Star Member
Mar 25, 2014
cyberbobsa said:
Pls check this
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/how-much-will-it-cost-to-give-birth-wo-ohip-t139251.0.html
Thanks for sharing.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dragana said:
Hi,

What we can do?
If you guys live in Alberta, your Canadian husband might be able to add you into his provincial health program. Check out this:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t148933.0.html;msg2287246#msg2287246