+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! I forgot to check 17b box

nataliafrance

Mar 24, 2015
hello!

In the CIT 002 form, I forgot to check box 17b, which is for National Register of electors. It asks if we authorize IRCC to give our contact information to be included in the National Register of electors.
I remember thinking I didn’t really know if I wanted or not.

Could this be a motive to send back the application as incomplete?
Part of me think this is unrelated to the citizenship application per se, so i am fine.. but then, I get doubts..

What do you think? And what should i do?
I haven’t gotten AOR yet, fyi (application received in May 16)

Last edited:

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
They could send your application back, because technically it is a question with either yes or no as options, and seeing as you checked neither, it could be deemed incomplete.
However, they do state that your choice will in no way affect your immigration application, so it may be up to the processing officer to determine whether it's worth sending the application back.
Hang tight, you are a mid-May applicant and May AORs could be coming in the next few weeks, based on the April 2019 thread. Worst case scenario, they send it back and you have added 2-3 months extra to the processing time, but I wouldn't bother sending a new application entirely before you get an AOR, would just complicate things further.

ETE

May 9, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2015
AOR Received.
22-05-2015
Passport Req..
27-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
02-11-2015
hello!

In the CIT 002 form, I forgot to check box 17b, which is for National Register of electors. It asks if we authorize IRCC to give our contact information to be included in the National Register of electors.

Part of me think this is unrelated to the citizenship application per se, so i am fine.. but then, I get doubts..

To be honest i do not think it really matters. I think you should be fine.
I did not choose a yes or no option in one of the questions but yet my application is at the in-process stage.
I will suggest you give CIC a call or use the web contact form to inquire.

Reactions: nataliafrance

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
hello!

As with ETE above I missed a box (in my case the Quebec one blank) and am IP. I even got AOR having missed 2019 in my tax years. Only listed 4 years.

Honestly I think it depends on the mood or agent you get. Most are reasonable human beings so you are most likely okay.

Good luck.

Reactions: nataliafrance

nataliafrance

Mar 24, 2015
To be honest i do not think it really matters. I think you should be fine.
I did not choose a yes or no option in one of the questions but yet my application is at the in-process stage.
I will suggest you give CIC a call or use the web contact form to inquire.
Thank you! Impossible to reach them by phone lately.. will try the contact form or just wait

nataliafrance

Mar 24, 2015
As with ETE above I missed a box (in my case the Quebec one blank) and am IP. I even got AOR having missed 2019 in my tax years. Only listed 4 years.

Honestly I think it depends on the mood or agent you get. Most are reasonable human beings so you are most likely okay.

Good luck.
Thank you! I suspect you may be right.. fingers crossed I get a reasonable agent!!!

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Thank you! Impossible to reach them by phone lately.. will try the contact form or just wait
It’s not impossible, but it is very hard of late. Have to try a lot and then wait a long time once they’re not too busy to even give you a ring tone or let you into a queue.

That said until you have your AOR and reference number I doubt they’ll be able to give you much so I think just cross your fingers and wait sorry!