+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! I applied for CEC then had to leave Canada. my PGWP & TRV will expire next month.

dabo

Sep 17, 2021
Hello,

I applied for the CEC earlier this month (with my spouse as a dependent who has not entered Canada yet). however, i needed to leave and right now i am outside of Canada with my spouse. Both our OWPs & TRVs will expire in June 2023 - I am trying to apply to extend my PGWP through the new policy, but i am now concerned about what happens if we receive approval from the IRCC on our application after our TRVs are expired.

will the IRCC issue a PPR to us so we can land in Canada since we won't have any valid visas to enter Canada?
will the COPR be revoked and i have to apply for new TRVs as visitors to enter Canada then inform IRCC to re-issue COPR?
or what do i need to do?

I searched for many days on the issue but i got really confused with the answers. thank you for helping out!

Reactions: CanTraveller

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
Hello,

I applied for the CEC earlier this month (with my spouse as a dependent who has not entered Canada yet). however, i needed to leave and right now i am outside of Canada with my spouse. Both our OWPs & TRVs will expire in June 2023 - I am trying to apply to extend my PGWP through the new policy, but i am now concerned about what happens if we receive approval from the IRCC on our application after our TRVs are expired. You have to apply TRV again in such case if you want to travel & no PR approval yet. CEC processing time is 4- 5months min and depends on luck. People are waiting for over 8 months while some people get approved in 2- 3months. one needs luck here

will the IRCC issue a PPR to us so we can land in Canada since we won't have any valid visas to enter Canada? If you are outside Canada inform IRCC on your PR application
will the COPR be revoked and i have to apply for new TRVs as visitors to enter Canada then inform IRCC to re-issue COPR? Once COPR is issued all other visas are voide
or what do i need to do?

I searched for many days on the issue but i got really confused with the answers. thank you for helping out!

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
You are indeed confused. Lets take it piece by piece. If you extend your PGWP while outside of Canada you must declare that you are outside and will require a visa to return in the application. Otherwise they will approve your PGWP and you will have to apply for a work visa separately.

During the PR process IRCC will ask you to declare whether you are inside or outside of Canada. This is done before COPR is issued. So if you declare that you are outside, they will send your "ready for visa" message to your nearest embassy/consulate to issue the PR visa and Temporary COPR. If you declare your location accordingly, you have nothing to worry about. Full COPR would be given to you once you land in Canada. The biggest mistake you could make here is declaring that you are in Canada, and get the COPR issued when you are still outside. They would have to cancel that version of the COPR and then send your application to the nearest embassy for processing. So don't do that.

Reactions: dabo

CanTraveller

Jun 28, 2018
Hello,

I applied for the CEC earlier this month (with my spouse as a dependent who has not entered Canada yet). however, i needed to leave and right now i am outside of Canada with my spouse. Both our OWPs & TRVs will expire in June 2023 - I am trying to apply to extend my PGWP through the new policy, but i am now concerned about what happens if we receive approval from the IRCC on our application after our TRVs are expired.

will the IRCC issue a PPR to us so we can land in Canada since we won't have any valid visas to enter Canada?
will the COPR be revoked and i have to apply for new TRVs as visitors to enter Canada then inform IRCC to re-issue COPR?
or what do i need to do?

I'm in the same boat. After researching around, I decided to wait for the pr card until having other plans.

dabo

Sep 17, 2021
You are indeed confused. Lets take it piece by piece. If you extend your PGWP while outside of Canada you must declare that you are outside and will require a visa to return in the application. Otherwise they will approve your PGWP and you will have to apply for a work visa separately.

During the PR process IRCC will ask you to declare whether you are inside or outside of Canada. This is done before COPR is issued. So if you declare that you are outside, they will send your "ready for visa" message to your nearest embassy/consulate to issue the PR visa and Temporary COPR. If you declare your location accordingly, you have nothing to worry about. Full COPR would be given to you once you land in Canada. The biggest mistake you could make here is declaring that you are in Canada, and get the COPR issued when you are still outside. They would have to cancel that version of the COPR and then send your application to the nearest embassy for processing. So don't do that.
Hello @Chasechs ! I am sorry i didn't notice i got another reply! thank you for the explanation and advice!

During the PR process IRCC will ask you to declare whether you are inside or outside of Canada. This is done before COPR is issued.
when exactly do they ask me to verify this info? do you mean if i got approved and ready for the COPR?

then to summarize. please correct me if wrong :
1- if my PR application is approved --> before they send me the COPR portal, they will ask me to verify if myself and my spouse are indeed in Canada
2- i am outside canada, i will inform them with my current residence
3- they will issue me a PR visa & temporary COPR from my residence location
4- i will use them to land in Canada where the officers at the airport will give us the full COPR. i will wait for my PR in Canada normally

also, i have a valid US visa, can i travel to the US then to Canada by land? can this help my situation become smoother in your opinion?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
IRCC usually sends an email saying the PR has been approved and these are the following steps to finalize your application. That would include, declaring your location for and all dependents on the application. This is needed for them to create an online portal. If you are outside of Canada with no option of returning, they will send your application to a visa office near you for processing. You have to tell them your exact location and your inability to return to Canada to complete the steps. The visa office will issue COPR and TR at the same time, so there is no benefit to going to the US for land crossing. You can land in Canada. Once you land, border agents will give you instructions on how to complete the PR card steps.

Do not declare that you are inside Canada when you are not. If you do so, they will issue your COPR electronically. When you attempt the land crossing they will ultimately ask you to explain why you declared wrongly. Is this really worth the faster timing? And this is by no means smoother in my opinion. Remember, border agents have the latitude to invalidate your PR application at the port of entry.

dabo

Sep 17, 2021
IRCC usually sends an email saying the PR has been approved and these are the following steps to finalize your application. That would include, declaring your location for and all dependents on the application. This is needed for them to create an online portal. If you are outside of Canada with no option of returning, they will send your application to a visa office near you for processing. You have to tell them your exact location and your inability to return to Canada to complete the steps. The visa office will issue COPR and TR at the same time, so there is no benefit to going to the US for land crossing. You can land in Canada. Once you land, border agents will give you instructions on how to complete the PR card steps.

Do not declare that you are inside Canada when you are not. If you do so, they will issue your COPR electronically. When you attempt the land crossing they will ultimately ask you to explain why you declared wrongly. Is this really worth the faster timing? And this is by no means smoother in my opinion. Remember, border agents have the latitude to invalidate your PR application at the port of entry.
Perfect! Thank you so much for the clarity! I wasn’t sure of the steps but this makes much more sense :)

dabo

Sep 17, 2021
Hello again @Chasechs :)
I finally received the request to submit our travel documents (my spouse and myself) in order to prepare for the COPR. However, i have a question:
Currently i left Canada to visit my ill-father and my wife is in a third country for an extended business trip till January. However, The information paper states we need to submit all documents in one package.

in order to do that;
1- i will mention in the web form that we are not in canada and that we are at 2 different countr temporarily
2- i thought one of us can send their own passport through courier to the other partner and then we can submit the whole package to the nearest VAC office.

But I am not sure if this will work…. Can you please advice?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Hello again @Chasechs :)
I finally received the request to submit our travel documents (my spouse and myself) in order to prepare for the COPR. However, i have a question:
Currently i left Canada to visit my ill-father and my wife is in a third country for an extended business trip till January. However, The information paper states we need to submit all documents in one package.

in order to do that;
1- i will mention in the web form that we are not in canada and that we are at 2 different countr temporarily
2- i thought one of us can send their own passport through courier to the other partner and then we can submit the whole package to the nearest VAC office.

But I am not sure if this will work…. Can you please advice?
Congrats on this next step in the process. For clarification, did you the primary applicant declare that you were outside of Canada? If yes, then both documents should be submitted in one package for simpler processing. I am also assuming, the third country was not declared as the residential address for your spouse. How short is the trip? How much time did they give you to send the documents?

Your immediate problem is that a passport can not shipped so freely across international borders. The accepted process is it being shipped to a government agency for processing. Sending it to a friend or spouse is not a good reason for the passport to leave the possession of the holder. This clearly opens up a situation for fraud. Find out if she can do it (call your local passport office). If she can not you have to get confirmed information that she can send it from a third country to the embassy, therefore 2 packages.

As someone at the edge of receiving PR, doing all this travelling around is not good for the process and only complicates it.

dabo

Sep 17, 2021
@Chasechs thank you for the fast reply!
1- yes, I will mention that i (primary applicant) am not currently in canada and that my spouse is in another country

2- regarding “Find out if she can do it (call your local passport office). If she can not you have to get confirmed information that she can send it from a third country to the embassy, therefore 2 packages”
Maybe I misstated but once my spouse has the passport, this means we can submit only 1 package with both our passports together included.
or do you mean that IRCC will ask that submission to the nearest VFS office needs to be based on the actual individual residential address?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
@Chasechs thank you for the fast reply!
1- yes, I will mention that i (primary applicant) am not currently in canada and that my spouse is in another country

2- regarding “Find out if she can do it (call your local passport office). If she can not you have to get confirmed information that she can send it from a third country to the embassy, therefore 2 packages”
Maybe I misstated but once my spouse has the passport, this means we can submit only 1 package with both our passports together included.
or do you mean that IRCC will ask that submission to the nearest VFS office needs to be based on the actual individual residential address?
Your point on number 2 is not clear. State what you read and where your spouse is currently located. Third country means she is not in her home country or country she declared she was a resident of. Your statement also suggest that the two of you are in different countries at this time. If you gonna submit one package to the VFS one of you is going to have to send their passport across international borders to the other. That's what I mean by you probably can not do that and need clarification from your respective passport agency. Also, if the RFV letter says one package, you will have to get confirmation with IRCC if you can submit her passport separate because of the third country.