+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP!! How to open a Canadian bank A/C from Dubai b4 landing??

Mapleland

May 16, 2012
Hello Everyone,

I know there have been several posts on this topic however things on ground keep changing with the condition the banks are in. I know it was possible to open an account with Scotiabank from Dubai but I understand this has now been discontinued.

My questions:

1) Any update if any other bank offers to open a bank account before landing based on PR visa?

2) Alternative suggestion on moving money other than draft/PO/traveller chqs or cash?

3) Any related information would be highly appreciated.

Cheers.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Mapleland said:
1) Any update if any other bank offers to open a bank account before landing based on PR visa?
If you bank with HSBC they still advertise they will assist you in opening a new foreign account and there are plenty of HSBC branches in the UAE (www.hsbc.ae).

Mapleland said:
2) Alternative suggestion on moving money other than draft/PO/traveller chqs or cash?
I use XE (www.xe.com) for doing foreign exchange transactions. Their rates have been excellent and they are based in Victoria, BC.

Fair warning: if you will travel into Canada, it is far easier to bring in a cheque drawn on an international bank (e.g., HSBC) that is payable to you. Under CBSA rules, this is NOT a "monetary instrument" and does not need to be declared. If you bring traveller's cheques, cash, or anything that is demand payable (a "monetary instrument") that total above $10,000 you must declare it to CBSA upon entry into Canada.

I have no financial interests in either of these firms. I've just used them both successfully.

Good luck!

art2012

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mapleland said:
Hello Everyone,

I know there have been several posts on this topic however things on ground keep changing with the condition the banks are in. I know it was possible to open an account with Scotiabank from Dubai but I understand this has now been discontinued.

My questions:

3) Any related information would be highly appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi,

U r right, now u cant open account in scotia bank from dubai but one can open account in canada thru HSBC.
I gathered information before moving to canada 20days ago and i dont recommend it. HSBC atm r less in canada ,their charges r high,exchange rates r low,so big no no for HSBC.as far as i kw one cant open account in canada from dubai
except HSBC.

As advised by many in the forum,the best way to carry funds is dd/tc/cash.my advise 80% as dd rest as cash.

We landed in toronto and i can say its safer than any city in usa.

Once u land, u can get to local bank and deposit ur dd/cash/tt within a day or two.

If need any info reg toronto feel free to ask.

Good luck.
Rgds,
Art.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
art2012 said:
big no no for HSBC
Like computergeek had said, you can either bank with HSBC or you can bring in a cheque drawn on an international bank that is payable to you. Whereas it might be a big no for elsewhere, but in the lower mainland of BC, I can see lots of HSBC branches and atm machines.