+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! Healthcare Career Paths for an Experienced RN (that isn't nursing)?

helpingmymama

Jan 9, 2021
Hi everyone,

My parents just immigrated to Vancouver, BC, from Sweden (woohoo!). My mother is an experienced Registered Nurse with her master's in nursing. She's been dealing with the NNAS process for the better part of the past six years (they lost her paperwork on multiple occasions).

Does anyone know of any jobs she could pursue, preferably within healthcare or another supportive role, that doesn't require her to be licensed in BC (or attend too many courses if she does need to be licensed)? I have already directed her towards jobs like Nurse Case Manager and Clinical Manager, but I am stumped otherwise. Counseling would be a good fit for her, but I think that needs a license here, too. She has several years' experience working with psychiatric, geriatric, psychosomatic, and both post- and pre-operative patients in home care, hospital, and residential settings.

She is incredibly good at the work she does and is well-sought out in Sweden for her knowledge and expertise. I just want to help her find her footing here.

Any help, advice, or pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance, and I hope the start to your new year has been going great!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Without a license and no Canadian experience in a Canadian health care setting, her easiest path probably is PSW.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

My parents just immigrated to Vancouver, BC, from Sweden (woohoo!). My mother is an experienced Registered Nurse with her master's in nursing. She's been dealing with the NNAS process for the better part of the past six years (they lost her paperwork on multiple occasions).

Does anyone know of any jobs she could pursue, preferably within healthcare or another supportive role, that doesn't require her to be licensed in BC (or attend too many courses if she does need to be licensed)? I have already directed her towards jobs like Nurse Case Manager and Clinical Manager, but I am stumped otherwise. Counseling would be a good fit for her, but I think that needs a license here, too. She has several years' experience working with psychiatric, geriatric, psychosomatic, and both post- and pre-operative patients in home care, hospital, and residential settings.

She is incredibly good at the work she does and is well-sought out in Sweden for her knowledge and expertise. I just want to help her find her footing here.

Any help, advice, or pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance, and I hope the start to your new year has been going great!
She may be able to get a job as a homecare case manager Essentially determining what type of services people can get in their home based on what the government allows and based on what the budget allows. It is more administrative primarily in an office. Any type of clinical role will be difficult without her nursing license. There May be some more administrative roles in the ministry of health.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.