+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP - Have been asked to supply original NZ police certificate

nick360

Oct 24, 2014
Hi,

My outland application is currently under review and they have asked me to supply an original New Zealand police certificate even though it clearly states on their website that for NZ you need to fill out a consent form for NZ police, attach a copy of your passport and send that to CIC who will initiate this process - I already included this in my initial application but it seems to not be enough?

What do I do? I have followed their instructions, maybe they aren't current? Maybe they just haven't received the certificate from NZ so it looks like it is missing? Should I resend the consent form?

Thank you

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
nick360 said:
Hi,

My outland application is currently under review and they have asked me to supply an original New Zealand police certificate even though it clearly states on their website that for NZ you need to fill out a consent form for NZ police, attach a copy of your passport and send that to CIC who will initiate this process - I already included this in my initial application but it seems to not be enough?

What do I do? I have followed their instructions, maybe they aren't current? Maybe they just haven't received the certificate from NZ so it looks like it is missing? Should I resend the consent form?

Thank you
Fill it out again, and send it via Case Specific Enquiry. Make note in your enquiry that you already supplied the consent, but you have attached an updated copy. If that is not sufficient, ask them to send directions on what they would accept as a PCC for NZ.

You can file a CSE here: https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

nick360

Oct 24, 2014
Ok thank you.

They have also asked for a common law declaration even though it stipulates it is only necessary if the partner is a co-signer (which mine is not) - I have tried to abide by their rules but it seems that some of their practices don't abide by their own rules.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
CIC IP-8 (the procedures guide for CIC employees; this is for inland; though I cannot see outland being much different) has this to say about evidence required:

In the case of a common-law partner, documentary evidence should include
 a completed Spouse/Common-law Partner Questionnaire (IMM5285) (included in the application package)
 a statutory declaration of common-law relationship (included in the application package);
 proof of separation from a former spouse if either the sponsor or the applicant were previously married; and evidence that they have been living together for at least one year (e.g. documents showing the same address for both).

Evidence may also include
 documents from other institutions or other government authorities, such as the Canada Revenue Agency, that indicate a marital or common-law relationship;
 documents indicating joint ownership of property (mortgages, leases);
 joint bank accounts; and
 insurance policies.

nick360

Oct 24, 2014
profiler said:
CIC IP-8 (the procedures guide for CIC employees; this is for inland; though I cannot see outland being much different) has this to say about evidence required:

In the case of a common-law partner, documentary evidence should include
 a completed Spouse/Common-law Partner Questionnaire (IMM5285) (included in the application package)
 a statutory declaration of common-law relationship (included in the application package);
 proof of separation from a former spouse if either the sponsor or the applicant were previously married; and evidence that they have been living together for at least one year (e.g. documents showing the same address for both).

Evidence may also include
 documents from other institutions or other government authorities, such as the Canada Revenue Agency, that indicate a marital or common-law relationship;
 documents indicating joint ownership of property (mortgages, leases);
 joint bank accounts; and
 insurance policies.
This is what it says on the document checklist "Complete IMM5409 if you have a co-signer and he or she is your common law partner"

I don't have a co-signer, so I did not fill this out, I figured that it would be redundant because the entire application is declaration of common-law status with all of the documents required. Regardless, this looks to be the new practice and I wish it was clear in the application forms. Maybe i'm just not reading it right?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
nick360 said:
This is what it says on the document checklist "Complete IMM5409 if you have a co-signer and he or she is your common law partner"

I don't have a co-signer, so I did not fill this out, I figured that it would be redundant because the entire application is declaration of common-law status with all of the documents required. Regardless, this looks to be the new practice and I wish it was clear in the application forms. Maybe i'm just not reading it right?
This is what you need:
a statutory declaration of common-law relationship (included in the application package);

you and your partner have to make a declaration (write something up on a computer and print) stating that you continue to reside together since xx date. Take that to a notary/commissioner of oaths and sign in front of them. That's your Stat Dec.

nick360

Oct 24, 2014
profiler said:
This is what you need:
a statutory declaration of common-law relationship (included in the application package);

you and your partner have to make a declaration (write something up on a computer and print) stating that you continue to reside together since xx date. Take that to a notary/commissioner of oaths and sign in front of them. That's your Stat Dec.
We actually already wrote our own letters stating our common law status with all the information regarding joint lease, joint bank accounts, life insurance, how long we've lived together etc etc and had those signed in front of a notary public. But that isn't enough, apparently you need to fill and sign the specific IMM5409 document - just so others are aware.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union should be sent with the original application for common-law sponsorships. It is true that in the guide it says it is only needed if there is a cosigner, but many visa officers ask for it anyway, so it is better to just sent them one with the application. If you did not, then certainly just send them one when or if they ask for it.