+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help - General questions for landing in Canada

bkwhet

Jan 20, 2012
I was told that I the sponsor does not have to be present for the landing.. was told from the Canadian office. but I see lots of people on here saying that i have to.. uggg..

Kazakhstan

Star Member
Jan 12, 2012
bkwhet said:
I was told that I the sponsor does not have to be present for the landing.. was told from the Canadian office. but I see lots of people on here saying that i have to.. uggg..
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf

See chapter 12 (not all paragraphs of 1-17 apply to your situation).

The sponsor's presence is not required for the landing.

There must be a very serious reason to be found inadmissible at the border... It's not like they turn around every other new immigrant...

Your husband can also bring your marriage certificate, and a signed letter from you stating your intentions to return to Canada. Any other documents you have along the lines of what you guys sent with your PR application, to make you feel safe. I doubt they will ask for any of it though.

So many people land for a short time and come back later to settle... A few months to a year of preparation for the big move in many cases isn't enough...

Kazakhstan

Star Member
Jan 12, 2012
Tried to search the web for accounts of landing experience by spouses without sponsors for you (both in English and Russian), could find only one so far!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705288

"Just to update...... My husband has Landed! He flew to Canada on his own this week and was successful in Landing without me. We decided to take the risk of him going on his own, prepared to make another trip in a month or so with all of us if he wasn't able to proceed without me being there. They asked if I was in Canada or in the UK and he told them I was in the UK and they weren't bothered. He had letters from me, my mother (as recommended by the lawyer) stating he was staying with her for x number of days, plus a letter from his work stating he was employed in the UK and was returning to work on X day. He didn't need to show any of it. Just the Goods to Follow list. So, he returns in a few days and we will finally put the house up for sale."

British_Bulldog

Star Member
Jan 18, 2010
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/05/2011
AOR Received.
13/01/2012
File Transfer...
22/09/2011
Med's Request
23/03/2011
Med's Done....
16/04/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
18/01/2012
LANDED..........
11/02/2012
I just wanted to clearify for ourselves here...What if you're landing with no items to follow? Like, everything you're bringing with you is what you have in your suitcase? I ask because this will most likely be my partner. I've been setting up home here and when he comes, all he'll need to bring is himself, his personal items and a few photos and old toys of our daughters. Will he have to declare this too? What's all this about paying duties too? Haven't we already shelled out enough?

British_Bulldog

Star Member
Jan 18, 2010
Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16/05/2011
AOR Received.
13/01/2012
File Transfer...
22/09/2011
Med's Request
23/03/2011
Med's Done....
16/04/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
18/01/2012
LANDED..........
11/02/2012

Kazakhstan

Star Member
Jan 12, 2012
British_Bulldog said:
I just wanted to clearify for ourselves here...What if you're landing with no items to follow? Like, everything you're bringing with you is what you have in your suitcase? I ask because this will most likely be my partner. I've been setting up home here and when he comes, all he'll need to bring is himself, his personal items and a few photos and old toys of our daughters. Will he have to declare this too? What's all this about paying duties too? Haven't we already shelled out enough?
This was me in 2005, all my world in one suitcase... :) No, obviously no need to declare a 'goods to follow' list. No duties for immigrants who land for the first time, and never for items such as you mentioned.