+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! Gap longer than 150 days on study permit / PGWP

Famil17

Jan 31, 2020
Hi guys. I will try to explain my situation as briefly as I can. Please, I need your help.

I came to Canada on 29 January 2021 with study permit. I registered for January term full time in univeristy. I am studying post graduate diploma at UBC. Before coming to Canada, I lost my father due to Covid-19. For that reason I had financial difficulties. Coming to Canada was worst decision for me as I had opportunity to study online from my country. I just thought online classes wouldnt be more than 1 term. Early March my mother diagnosed positive on Covid-19. She was kinda alone and my brother is 15 y.o. I had to support my family and because of these I was almost out of funds to continue my studies. I talked to my program office. The only option for me was to withraw from courses that term. So I withdrew from my courses on 8th March and left Canada ASAP which was 17th March. In my program I also had to study in summer term. For summer term I took authorized leave from May to September (2021) because I was looking for finances to help me to get back to university. Now I am able to register for September 2021 term and study online from my country, but I am worried about my study permit conditions, "full-time status during studies" eventually PGWP eligibility.

1) PGWP is so important for me as I want to get PR at the end. Do you think I will be eligible for PGWP when I graduate even if I explain my situation clearly in LOE? My program office told me for January term my status will be "no longer enrolled". But for summer term i took authorized leave. So there is "gaps no longer than 150 days" rule as you know. I think my gap is more than 150 days. Do you think this "150 days rule" apply me if I left Canada on time?

2) Is there other possible ways to come back to Canada to look for a job and then apply PR (or other ways to immigirate) if my pgwp application will be refused?

3) do you think changing program and univeristy would solve this problem?

Fact: I left Canada as soon as I stopped my studies never worked anywhere during that time.

Fact: IRCC says on website you dont need to comply with your study permit conditions if you became unexpectedly impoverished beyond your control.

Guys please I need your help. I dont know whether to continue my studies or not because of this.

winlife

Star Member
Jul 18, 2020
Talk to the immigration office at UBC. There must be an international student office or something that deals with all this. Usually universities have IRCC agents to deal with this kind of cases. They will guide you.

Usually summer term is a period of holiday. Its optional to take classes during this period. But then again, for some programs summer is compulsory term. So double check this too.

Famil17

Jan 31, 2020
Talk to the immigration office at UBC. There must be an international student office or something that deals with all this. Usually universities have IRCC agents to deal with this kind of cases. They will guide you.

Usually summer term is a period of holiday. Its optional to take classes during this period. But then again, for some programs summer is compulsory term. So double check this too.
Hi. I explained this to international office. they told me i should explain these in my LOE. I just want to know if there are people here who experienced the same and got pgwp approved

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You need to stop continually bumping your thread. Your situation is very unique and it may take several days for someone who has had a similar experience to respond.

If you are looking for an immediate answer, then one option is to hire an immigration lawyer. The other is to dedicate time to searching this forum for historical threads covering this topic.

IMO both approval and refusal are possible. It's not possible to say which it will be.

If your PGWP is refused and you still want to be able to work in Canada, you'll need to find an employer who is willing to give you a job and get an approved LMIA. It's generally extremely difficult to find employers willing to go through this process.

Reactions: Famil17

aquarius1

Jan 20, 2014
Hi guys. I will try to explain my situation as briefly as I can. Please, I need your help.

I came to Canada on 29 January 2021 with study permit. I registered for January term full time in univeristy. I am studying post graduate diploma at UBC. Before coming to Canada, I lost my father due to Covid-19. For that reason I had financial difficulties. Coming to Canada was worst decision for me as I had opportunity to study online from my country. I just thought online classes wouldnt be more than 1 term. Early March my mother diagnosed positive on Covid-19. She was kinda alone and my brother is 15 y.o. I had to support my family and because of these I was almost out of funds to continue my studies. I talked to my program office. The only option for me was to withraw from courses that term. So I withdrew from my courses on 8th March and left Canada ASAP which was 17th March. In my program I also had to study in summer term. For summer term I took authorized leave from May to September (2021) because I was looking for finances to help me to get back to university. Now I am able to register for September 2021 term and study online from my country, but I am worried about my study permit conditions, "full-time status during studies" eventually PGWP eligibility.

1) PGWP is so important for me as I want to get PR at the end. Do you think I will be eligible for PGWP when I graduate even if I explain my situation clearly in LOE? My program office told me for January term my status will be "no longer enrolled". But for summer term i took authorized leave. So there is "gaps no longer than 150 days" rule as you know. I think my gap is more than 150 days. Do you think this "150 days rule" apply me if I left Canada on time?

2) Is there other possible ways to come back to Canada to look for a job and then apply PR (or other ways to immigirate) if my pgwp application will be refused?

3) do you think changing program and univeristy would solve this problem?

Fact: I left Canada as soon as I stopped my studies never worked anywhere during that time.

Fact: IRCC says on website you dont need to comply with your study permit conditions if you became unexpectedly impoverished beyond your control.

Guys please I need your help. I dont know whether to continue my studies or not because of this.
You need a very good immigration lawyer who is well known person. Who deals with PGWP and study permit application especially.
and you need to call ircc and explain your all situations. Talk to at least 3 to 4 ircc Call center agent get idea what they say.

Thanks

Famil17

Jan 31, 2020
I am in a similar situation as you and it is progressing as well.
Yess. We need people here to share their experiences about this case. Unfortunately no detailed replies yet. I searched forum and found similar situations, but not so many. Only option is reapplying if rejected. But it still bothers us very well and affects studies.

sb22651

Jul 15, 2021
Yess. We need people here to share their experiences about this case. Unfortunately no detailed replies yet. I searched forum and found similar situations, but not so many. Only option is reapplying if rejected. But it still bothers us very well and affects studies.
How would it affect your studies? Pgwp is only available to you after you graduate and you meet the requirements of the pgwp.

Pgwp is not necessary for you to do your studies

Famil17

Jan 31, 2020
How would it affect your studies? Pgwp is only available to you after you graduate and you meet the requirements of the pgwp.

Pgwp is not necessary for you to do your studies
Because I am thinking about it continuously. PGWP is quite an important thing for international students who would like to immigrate to Canada. I think you should know about it.