+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help - Future PGWP related query

FrozenCold

Feb 9, 2020
Main question: Will I be eligible for PGWP?

I applied for study permit in August. Still waiting for it. (Waiting for PPR, everything else updated)
I started my program in September 2020. My program requires me to complete 10 courses (equals 5.0 units ....or 0.5 units each). My university requires students to be registered in 3.0 units of courses (6 courses) in a year. (Year = september 2020 to april 2021)

In Fall 2020, I took 3 courses (1.5 units).
Now, because without study permit and while outside Canada, students can complete 50% of their program....I am taking only 1 course (0.5 units) in winter 2021. Meaning, I may not be a full time student for winter semester.

How will that affect PGWP eligibility?

dinesh_18x

Mar 5, 2020
Taking a part-time load for a semester will make you ineligible for PGWP. For PGWP they have a requirement of min.1 year or 8 months of full-time courses. Assuming you're course is of 1 year, you're are still eligible for a full 1-year PGWP, even if you complete your studies outside of Canada. If it's a 2-year course, don't worry you still have the 2nd year to cover the 50% of the program.

Refer: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/pgwp-eligibility-measures.html

Edit: The above mentioned PGWP criteria is only for students starting in May'20 or Sept'20.

FrozenCold

Feb 9, 2020
Taking a part-time load for a semester will make you ineligible for PGWP. For PGWP they have a requirement of min.1 year or 8 months of full-time courses. Assuming you're course is of 1 year, you're are still eligible for a full 1-year PGWP, even if you complete your studies outside of Canada. If it's a 2-year course, don't worry you still have the 2nd year to cover the 50% of the program.

Refer: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/pgwp-eligibility-measures.html

Edit: The above mentioned PGWP criteria is only for students starting in May'20 or Sept'20.
Thank you for your reply.

My course is a 2 year program.

Unfortunately, without SP, I will be a part-time student for winter 2021 semester. (If I try to remain full time, it will cross the 50% allowance rule)

I think my university will provide a letter of explanation for being a part time student for one semester (due to covid-19 situation).

dinesh_18x

Mar 5, 2020
Thank you for your reply.

My course is a 2 year program.

Unfortunately, without SP, I will be a part-time student for winter 2021 semester. (If I try to remain full time, it will cross the 50% allowance rule)

I think my university will provide a letter of explanation for being a part time student for one semester (due to covid-19 situation).
So my understanding is that you have to complete 10courses in 2 years right. If your uni. requires you to complete 3 courses to maintain full time status. Check with them if it'll still be considered full time if you have lesser courses left for later semesters.

Most universities still give you a full time status even if you have less than required courses in a semester, but only if it's the last semester. Check with your uni. regarding this. My opinion is that clarify the status thing(in mail if possible) from uni. So that later you can probably ask them for transcripts stating full time. Explaining this stuff to IRCC is risky and if they overlook and decline it might delay your PGWP too.

Reactions: FrozenCold

FrozenCold

Feb 9, 2020
So my understanding is that you have to complete 10courses in 2 years right. If your uni. requires you to complete 3 courses to maintain full time status. Check with them if it'll still be considered full time if you have lesser courses left for later semesters.

Most universities still give you a full time status even if you have less than required courses in a semester, but only if it's the last semester. Check with your uni. regarding this. My opinion is that clarify the status thing(in mail if possible) from uni. So that later you can probably ask them for transcripts stating full time. Explaining this stuff to IRCC is risky and if they overlook and decline it might delay your PGWP too.
Full time = 3.0 units (or 6 courses) in a year. Year - for example, September 2020 to April 31(2 total semester)

Well, I have contacted my university and waiting for a response. (Christmas vacation)