+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help for permanent residenship

Rugved.30

Nov 13, 2019
Hello,
I came in Canada on study permit and now holding work permit for last one year. I am going to get married in January back home in India and come back. Once I am back will apply for residenship. Now I am curious to know, can I apply for pr while as I am being in canada and spouse in india on same application as she has education as well as 5 years of skilled labour experience. And what would be steps to apply for pr.
Thank you.

Simsom

Oct 17, 2019
You cannot include your future/current wife on your personal permanent residency application.

You need to become a PR yourself first, then you may have the option to sponsor her - for your wife to become a permanent resident.

There is more information here in regards to sponsoring spouses for permanent residency. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You cannot include your future/current wife on your personal permanent residency application.

You need to become a PR yourself first, then you may have the option to sponsor her - for your wife to become a permanent resident.

There is more information here in regards to sponsoring spouses for permanent residency. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html
This is not completely correct. You have to include your spouse (once you are married) in your PR application (EE or PNP...etc).
The spouse can be applying for PR at the same time or non-accompanying. For non-accompanying spouse, OP can apply to sponsor the spouse later on after he have received his own PR and living in Canada.

Simsom

Oct 17, 2019
This is not completely correct. You have to include your spouse (once you are married) in your PR application (EE or PNP...etc).
The spouse can be applying for PR at the same time or non-accompanying. For non-accompanying spouse, OP can apply to sponsor the spouse later on after he have received his own PR and living in Canada.
Exactly, the OPs English is kind of confusing for me. I suspect what OP was suggesting is they both apply for PR together at the same time.

Rugved.30

Nov 13, 2019
Yes.. so basically I am working in canada, and my Feance is in india. We are getting married in january. I will be applying for permanent residenship in march or April. So was wondering if I can add her to my application. And is it going to be same procedures she has to go through like ielts, wes and all.
Exactly, the OPs English is kind of confusing for me. I suspect what OP was suggesting is they both apply for PR together at the same time.

Simsom

Oct 17, 2019
Yes.. so basically I am working in canada, and my Feance is in india. We are getting married in january. I will be applying for permanent residenship in march or April. So was wondering if I can add her to my application. And is it going to be same procedures she has to go through like ielts, wes and all.
Just to be clear, hopefully this is helpful for you.

OP, you will need to disclose every part of your life (including the fact you have a wife) on your PR application. That being said, your wife being "on" your PR application does not make her any closer to receiver a PR of her own. If you receive a PR, that does not automatically mean your wife can live in Canada. She will either have to apply herself either with points, ielts, etc. Or, you will sponsor her once you become a PR. The sponsorship procedure does not require any form of points or english testing. Just that the requirements of the sponsor / principal applicant (your wife) are met.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Just to be clear, hopefully this is helpful for you.

OP, you will need to disclose every part of your life (including the fact you have a wife) on your PR application. That being said, your wife being "on" your PR application does not make her any closer to receiver a PR of her own. If you receive a PR, that does not automatically mean your wife can live in Canada. She will either have to apply herself either with points, ielts, etc. Or, you will sponsor her once you become a PR. The sponsorship procedure does not require any form of points or english testing. Just that the requirements of the sponsor / principal applicant (your wife) are met.
I think they can apply to come together. If she is well educated, with good English/Franch language skill and have related work experience, she will contribute to the whole application.

But that's outside of family sponsorship. OP better check the details on PNP and EE sections for more help.