+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help for moving to be with Canadian girlfriend

Annmarie17

Apr 13, 2018
He is a visitor. The government doesn't have to help you establish common law status. Many have to get married and apply outland because they don't have the savings or can't get a visa. Some people may already be working or studying while they establish common law and others do nothing. Given your young age, lack of savings (I'm guessing) and low rent CIC will be looking out for things like mentioning he has been helping around the house. It is very unusual for sponsorship at such a young age.
It makes sense that sponsorship would be seen as unusual, I imagine there aren't very many people barely 18 applying to sponsor a spouse or barely 19 sponsoring a common law. Thank you for helping us

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
It makes sense that sponsorship would be seen as unusual, I imagine there aren't very many people barely 18 applying to sponsor a spouse or barely 19 sponsoring a common law. Thank you for helping us
Quick reality check here.

You do understand that sponsorship comes with a three year irrevocable commitment, even if the relationship falls apart. Any welfare taken during that period of time has to be paid back to the government by you, the sponsor. This is a serious commitment for an 18 year old. The potential sums are in the tens of thousands of dollars.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So, what do other spouses/partners do while they are waiting for applications to process or gaining common law status? As far as i Know there are no other options but to do nothing.
It is hard for any relationship to stay afloat when one person is completely unable to work/contribute; tension and resentments can develop quite easily. Given your ages, how long he is going to be unable to work, the fact that you guys have only met once and never actually lived together (or, I'm assuming, lived with anyone in a partner relationship) and the fact that you will be living with your parents, it will likely be an uphill battle to keep the relationship going.

I suggest the two of you look for an alternative situation, such as doing working holidays in countries like Australia or NZ. This would allow you both the ability to work while really getting to know each other (and yes, you will be actually getting to know each other when you start living together). You would still be establishing common-law, if that is the path that you end up taking.

As said above, sponsorship is a serious commitment. I would say it is even more serious than marriage because you will be signing a legal contract with the Government of Canada to support your partner for 3 years.

Reactions: Annmarie17

Annmarie17

Apr 13, 2018
Quick reality check here.

You do understand that sponsorship comes with a three year irrevocable commitment, even if the relationship falls apart. Any welfare taken during that period of time has to be paid back to the government by you, the sponsor. This is a serious commitment for an 18 year old. The potential sums are in the tens of thousands of dollars.
It is a huge commitment, absolutely. Which is why I am trying to do as much research as I can and trying to spend as much time with him as I can before we commit to this. I appreciate your honesty and understand that most people will probably have a lot of doubt and criticism about this. Again, I'm trying really hard to go about this in a way that ensures we're both as prepared as possible. We have been apart for a long time and want to be able to be together, because we love each other and we are committed to each other.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think something like IEC would be a great idea. Have you asked your parents whether they are willing to support both of you? Without their cooperation and financial information the chances of you getting a visa are pretty low if you are a student. Although it may seem like the end of the world people change a lot between their teens, twenties and even 30s. I'm not sure your whole story but why not consider long distance until you are able to spend more time together. There used to be study abroad summer programs. Many young couple go away to different universities and if it was meant to be they will be together when they graduate.

Annmarie17

Apr 13, 2018
I think something like IEC would be a great idea. Have you asked your parents whether they are willing to support both of you? Without their cooperation and financial information the chances of you getting a visa are pretty low if you are a student. Although it may seem like the end of the world people change a lot between their teens, twenties and even 30s. I'm not sure your whole story but why not consider long distance until you are able to spend more time together. There used to be study abroad summer programs. Many young couple go away to different universities and if it was meant to be they will be together when they graduate.
My parents would do what they could probably, but their financial state is pretty poor. I wouldnt go to school while he was here, i graduate this spring and i want to work rather than go straight into post-secondary. So i would work during the process to support him and myself. As for long distance, weve been face timing daily pretty much since we met, but its getting hard to be apart so we want to try and close the gap. We would visit more of course but plane tickets are 600 dollars or more usually and to drive i would be on the road for 16 hours and passing through or around major cities, which i am not an experienced enough driver for nor is he. Youre right about people changing. Time reveals all.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
He can sweep the floor but things like yard work, little construction jobs, childcare, etc that a Canadian could be paid to do isn't allowed.
This is true. There was a UK citizen who was living with his wife in Canada while waiting for PR. He got deported because he was fixing up their own house - I believe to prepare for the arrival of their child (he was building a room for the baby). It was deemed that he was taking work away from a Canadian contractor who could have been hired to do the work.