+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! flying to canada tonight for a citizenship ceremony may or may not have been cancelled!

gal8

May 15, 2023
Hello
I was invited to a virtual ceremony may 18th with my wife last week, but we moved to australia with our 8 months year old son. i emailed them the day after asking if it's possible to take the oath online outside of canada explaining i have a job in australia and 8 months year old baby, and it is extremely difficult to arrange flying/leaving work with such a short notice. i asked just to tell me if it's possible but under no circumstance cancel or postpone my ceremony since if it's delayed it will be even more difficult to arrive.
since i didn't hear back for almost a week i ended up buying a round trip flight for 3 days, flying tonight to canada with my wife and baby to attend.

today (the day we fly) i got an email reply saying:
"An officer has reviewed your file and your request and we will be able to cancel your 18-MAY-2023 ceremony. "

and then goes on about how it will take 4 weeks to get an answer from the registrar and further steps.
and then it says:

"Should you still wish to pursue this request, please confirm by replying to this email, acknowledging the above 5 points, and provide the following in writing: your present circumstances and reasons for your requests to take the oath from outside of Canada for consideration by the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship. When possible, do not hesitate to provide supporting documentation, if you wish.
If you do not wish to proceed with pursuing this request, please advise of your return date and we will place you back in the queue to be rescheduled on the next available date upon your return. If you currently do not have a confirmed return date, we are able to place your file on hold for a maximum period of 6 months. Please note that if you are still unavailable after this period, your file will be subjected to be reviewed for Abandonment.
Please respond with your decision by 29-MAY-2023. Failure to provide correspondence will lead your file to be reviewed for Final Notice and/or Abandonment."

i looked at my citizenship tracker and the date is still may 18th, nothing changed there, no updates.
I am lost! does this mean my ceremony is cancelled and i cant attend even if i do fly? i already made plans to fly tonight, which is very expensive and very long round trip. i want to attend but i worry i fly and they won't accept me online? i cant call as the office is closed (asked a friend in canada to call on my behalf as you cant call from abroad). i can only call once i land in canada when the office is open and beg they will still accept me but i am worried they wont and i'll be forced to fly back again on a future date and i cant afford that financially.

do you think i can still fly and attend my original schedule? i doubt they will give my spot to anyone else on such short notice (2 days) but who knows??

if i reschedule i don't know when ill be able to fly again, or when will they even let me know of a new date, my pr card expires end of june as well.
i also read on june they will change the ceremony and you could do it online yourself, but i dont know if it means you could do it abroad or must be on canadian soil to do that still?

thank you

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello
I was invited to a virtual ceremony may 18th with my wife last week, but we moved to australia with our 8 months year old son. i emailed them the day after asking if it's possible to take the oath online outside of canada explaining i have a job in australia and 8 months year old baby, and it is extremely difficult to arrange flying/leaving work with such a short notice. i asked just to tell me if it's possible but under no circumstance cancel or postpone my ceremony since if it's delayed it will be even more difficult to arrive.
since i didn't hear back for almost a week i ended up buying a round trip flight for 3 days, flying tonight to canada with my wife and baby to attend.

today (the day we fly) i got an email reply saying:
"An officer has reviewed your file and your request and we will be able to cancel your 18-MAY-2023 ceremony. "

and then goes on about how it will take 4 weeks to get an answer from the registrar and further steps.
and then it says:

"Should you still wish to pursue this request, please confirm by replying to this email, acknowledging the above 5 points, and provide the following in writing: your present circumstances and reasons for your requests to take the oath from outside of Canada for consideration by the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship. When possible, do not hesitate to provide supporting documentation, if you wish.
If you do not wish to proceed with pursuing this request, please advise of your return date and we will place you back in the queue to be rescheduled on the next available date upon your return. If you currently do not have a confirmed return date, we are able to place your file on hold for a maximum period of 6 months. Please note that if you are still unavailable after this period, your file will be subjected to be reviewed for Abandonment.
Please respond with your decision by 29-MAY-2023. Failure to provide correspondence will lead your file to be reviewed for Final Notice and/or Abandonment."

i looked at my citizenship tracker and the date is still may 18th, nothing changed there, no updates.
I am lost! does this mean my ceremony is cancelled and i cant attend even if i do fly? i already made plans to fly tonight, which is very expensive and very long round trip. i want to attend but i worry i fly and they won't accept me online? i cant call as the office is closed (asked a friend in canada to call on my behalf as you cant call from abroad). i can only call once i land in canada when the office is open and beg they will still accept me but i am worried they wont and i'll be forced to fly back again on a future date and i cant afford that financially.

do you think i can still fly and attend my original schedule? i doubt they will give my spot to anyone else on such short notice (2 days) but who knows??

if i reschedule i don't know when ill be able to fly again, or when will they even let me know of a new date, my pr card expires end of june as well.
i also read on june they will change the ceremony and you could do it online yourself, but i dont know if it means you could do it abroad or must be on canadian soil to do that still?

thank you
I Can't imagine the angst you must be dealing with. To reach out on a public forum asking for last minute Help, is borderline crazy! ;)

Having said that..the inconsistencies at IRCC, of late, seem to be more than usual, judging from all of the online issues people are having (mostly PR issues, but still seeing some citizenship quandaries as well).

Even though you were clear in your communication that you did NOT want to cancel/reschedule your oath, you have no idea what IRCC is doing behind the scenes. Did that resonate with a human that knew what you were saying, or was it `routed' to the cancellation department? The fact that your tracker still shows the 18th, seems to be positive.

My inclination is that it all boils down to whatever your `gut' is telling you. Listen to your inner voice and just make a decision.

Regarding the change next month to take the oath yourself, online, I'd be surprised if it would be allowed if you are not on Canadian soil...but maybe a VPN would work?

Good luck!

Americanwife94

Star Member
Jun 5, 2016
You could try reaching out to your MP from where you lived in Canada before you moved and see if they can contact IRCC directly for you and get a straight answer. Explain the circumstances and that it’s urgent and you’ve made every effort to attend the ceremony. If you are on Canadian soil it helps your case of not wanting the ceremony cancelled.
Your MP may be able to sway them to get you into another ceremony while you’re still in Canada if the one on the 18th is cancelled for you.

Hope something works out and you’re able to attend a ceremony soon!

gal8

May 15, 2023
do you suppose if the officer decided to cancel (but no update on my tracker), can i still attend and my original spot won't be taken?
i'll only be there 3 business days unfortunately,
thank you

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since you appear to only have a matter of hours (not days) left to decide, you need to decide.

lr108

Star Member
May 10, 2023
"An officer has reviewed your file and your request and we will be able to cancel your 18-MAY-2023 ceremony."

"Should you still wish to pursue this request, please confirm by replying to this email"

It sounds to me like they have reviewed your request to cancel (although you haven't requested one, SMH) and it is possible to cancel if you want. They haven't cancelled it yet. The ball is in your court. So if you have tickets already, you might as well get it over with. This is what I understood from the wordings.

canadian787

Oct 2, 2022
As the person above is saying, seems like they haven't cancelled it yet. If I was in your situation with bought tickets, I would respond to them asap and say something like I will be there and then join the ceremony. If there is any confusion on the day of, explain to the clerk during oath. At the end, its your decision and go with your gut feeling.

naseryas

Mar 3, 2016
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
12-MAR-2016
Accept their offer to forward to registrar. If you are lucky, they will approve it and it will save you all the hassle. If they don't, they will reschedule you for later and you can come back at ease. You don't seem to be in a hurry for citizenship

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
As the person above is saying, seems like they haven't cancelled it yet. If I was in your situation with bought tickets, I would respond to them asap and say something like I will be there and then join the ceremony. If there is any confusion on the day of, explain to the clerk during oath. At the end, its your decision and go with your gut feeling.
I'd agree. IRCC haven't explicitly said that the oath is being rescheduled so it is probably worth a chance to get it over with.

Unless you are incredibly lucky, having a job and a small baby is not reason enough for Oath outside Canada.

Good luck! Please keep the forum posted on the developments.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Accept their offer to forward to registrar. If you are lucky, they will approve it and it will save you all the hassle. If they don't, they will reschedule you for later and you can come back at ease. You don't seem to be in a hurry for citizenship
@naseryas Did you hear back about your request to take oath outside Canada?