+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help fiance (soon to be spouse) get open work permit

patty34

Apr 12, 2010
My partner and I are from the U.S., are engaged and getting married in May. Our problem is that I have to send off my temporary resident 1 year work Visa application (I have an LMO) before we'll have our marriage license. My fiance is planning on going with me to Canada. What's the best way to get my fiance (soon to be spouse) there with me and to make sure he is able to have an open-work permit for the time I'll be there?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

patty34 said:
My partner and I are from the U.S., are engaged and getting married in May. Our problem is that I have to send off my temporary resident 1 year work Visa application (I have an LMO) before we'll have our marriage license. My fiance is planning on going with me to Canada. What's the best way to get my fiance (soon to be spouse) there with me and to make sure he is able to have an open-work permit for the time I'll be there?
Unless you are a common/law couple (lived together for a year) or married, he is not entitled to an OWP permit. Once you meet the criteria, (your job has to be NOC A,B or O) he applies for with proof of the relationship and proof of your work permit.

patty34

Apr 12, 2010
PMM,

Thank you very much for your reply! I want to make sure I understand this: I do meet the NOC A, B or O criteria and have an LMO. I will put my partner on my 1 year work Visa app as my fiance. Because he is not common law and we are not married yet, he cannot get an open work permit until we are married or common law (marriage will happen first). Is this correct?

If this is correct, at what point after we are married can we apply for an open work permit for him? Can I apply for his open work permit (with proof of relationship and my work permit) at the border upon entry into Canada? Earlier than that?

Thank you again for your help!!

Patty

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

patty34 said:
PMM,

Thank you very much for your reply! I want to make sure I understand this: I do meet the NOC A, B or O criteria and have an LMO. I will put my partner on my 1 year work Visa app as my fiance. Because he is not common law and we are not married yet, he cannot get an open work permit until we are married or common law (marriage will happen first). Is this correct?

If this is correct, at what point after we are married can we apply for an open work permit for him? Can I apply for his open work permit (with proof of relationship and my work permit) at the border upon entry into Canada? Earlier than that?

Thank you again for your help!!

Patty
As you are not common/law married, then he has to apply for his own visitor's permit. Once you are married, then he can apply for an OWP.

ssenjaliya

Star Member
Dec 8, 2012
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

As you are not common/law married, then he has to apply for his own visitor's permit. Once you are married, then he can apply for an OWP.

Hello PMM,

What should I do to appy for OWP for my spouse from within Canada? I am on CWP and My NOC is O Level.

Please help, Thanks in Advance......

SS