+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP - Does xxx have a job offer in Canada

cassiezhouu

May 31, 2020
Hi,

I recently got an invitation to apply for the permanent residence. However, I found out that in my express entry profile, I answered the question "Does xxx have a job offer in Canada" wrong. I thought it was asking my current job and I said YES because I am currently working as a Financial Analyst in Canada. But then I figured out you can only answer YES to that question if you have a valid job offer (in which case your employer need to offer a permanent job to you, but I am a contract worker. It does not apply to me and the answer should be NO). My score is 445 based on my express entry profile and I didn't get the 50 extra point for arrange employment. My score will NOT change no matter I answer YES or NO to that question. (This is really a confusing point to me about the questionnaire)

My question is, should I decline this ITA, fix my answer and wait for the next draw? Or should I submit my application and include a letter of explaination as my score doesn't change and it is still above the 440 cut-off? Does anyone have similar situation before that could advise? I would really appreciate your help.

cassiezhouu

May 31, 2020
No need to decline the ITA if the change does not affect your points or eligibility. Make the change and explain in an LoE that you misunderstood the questions and you fixed it.
Thank you! I found the below paragraph from cic website. I am afraid that it will get rejected if my question is different from what I indicated in my profile.

You'll need to show proof of the information you gave us in your Express Entry profile. We’ll assess whether the information you submit in your application is different from what was in your profile.

If we find that you gave us false information or left out important details, we could:
  • refuse your application
  • find you inadmissible
  • bar you for 5 years from applying to come to Canada for any reason

cassiezhouu

May 31, 2020
Yes, but it doesn't apply in your case because this change does not affect whether or not you would have received an ITA.

Also refer to:

"Under section A11.2, an officer may not issue a visa to an applicant who did not or does not meet the Express Entry minimum entry criteria (MEC) or did not or does not possess the qualifications for which they received their CRS score at the time when
  • the invitation to apply (ITA) was issued; or
  • the e-APR was received by IRCC.
When reviewing an application, processing offices must determine if
  • the applicant possesses the qualifications that they declared in their e-APR, as corroborated by the applicant’s supporting documentation; and
  • when the applicant submits their e-APR, the information provided in their Express Entry profile has not materially changed to the degree that the applicant would not have been issued an ITA in that round of invitations."
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/assessing-electronic-application-on-section-a11-2.html
Thank you very much for this piece of information! Just read it through and I think it should be fine for me. Thanks again for your help.

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
How is it that your score doesn't change when you say you have a valid job offer or reply that you do not? That doesn't seem right, you should receive 50 points for replying yes or not receive any points for saying no.

You need to look at the summary of your ITA, which will give you a breakdown of your score under each category. If your score of 445 includes 50 points for a job offer, your application won't be accepted because when they deduct the 50 points your score will be under the cut-off.

You need to check this properly and ensure you haven't received any points for it.

cassiezhouu

May 31, 2020
How is it that your score doesn't change when you say you have a valid job offer or reply that you do not? That doesn't seem right, you should receive 50 points for replying yes or not receive any points for saying no.

You need to look at the summary of your ITA, which will give you a breakdown of your score under each category. If your score of 445 includes 50 points for a job offer, your application won't be accepted because when they deduct the 50 points your score will be under the cut-off.

You need to check this properly and ensure you haven't received any points for it.
This is what I get confused as well. I think the 50 points is shown under arranged employment right? I got 0 in that section.

I guess it does not give me the extra 50 points because I answered NO to the LMIA question (also under the intended to work in canada section; it is a follow-up question if you answer YES to the job offer question)

Reactions: Islander216

zeddadiah

May 26, 2023
@cassiezhouu I am in the same situation as you. I am assuming you already have your application processed since it's been a few years. What did you end up doing an do you have any advice for me?