+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help ! Confusion - 5 years Eligibility period on Citizenship application - from date of landing?

mehtab007

Star Member
Jan 22, 2012
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello friends,

I landed as a PR n Canada on 02 May 2017. Recently filled the application form with the help of an IRCC consultant.

The physical calculator clearly shows the 5 years eligibility period is from Nov 20 2015. However, on the main citizenship application form, my consultant has written on Question 9, section A - from 02 May 2017.

My IRCC consultant, she claims that Physical calculator automatically will take last 5 years ..i.e from 2015... that't their software... however, practically your eligibility period starts from the day you landed i.e 02 May 2017 and since you were not in any third country other than Canada and your home country, so need not worry.. And hence, she furnished all my residence and education details since 02 May 2017. She claims, it will be all right. Anyone else faced this same issue?

Please let me know your opinions.

Thank you.

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
Hello friends,

I landed as a PR n Canada on 02 May 2017. Recently filled the application form with the help of an IRCC consultant.

The physical calculator clearly shows the 5 years eligibility period is from Nov 20 2015. However, on the main citizenship application form, my consultant has written on Question 9, section A - from 02 May 2017.

My IRCC consultant, she claims that Physical calculator automatically will take last 5 years ..i.e from 2015... that't their software... however, practically your eligibility period starts from the day you landed i.e 02 May 2017 and since you were not in any third country other than Canada and your home country, so need not worry.. And hence, she furnished all my residence and education details since 02 May 2017. She claims, it will be all right. Anyone else faced this same issue?

Thank you.
That's wrong. The questions clearly states to write dates from the physical presence calculator and not from your actual landing after becoming PR.

I think your application will be returned as incomplete with wrong details. Maybe other people will like to chip-in on this.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
I agree with @rafzy, your application is incomplete and will be returned. Your consultant clearly didn't understand the residency and education/work questions. It clearly said in the last 5 years and if you have any gap your application will be returned. Starting from May 2017 to Nov 2020 isn't 5 years but 3.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
I mean, why take risks when it's easy playing it safe? I don't actually know how it's gonna be for your application, but yeah, odds are they return it because you failed to answer to what was explicitly asked from you.
If that happens, ditch that "IRCC consultant" before you fill the application again. She's no fit for the "job".

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello friends,

Thank you.
Like @Seym, I am not certain the application will be returned if submitted this way, but that seems the most likely result. The instructions say it will be returned. And there is, at the very least, definitely a significant RISK that is what will happen.

If you or your consultant have not yet sent it in yet, insist on fixing it before submitting it.

As all others observed, the "consultant" is for sure wrong, and it is baffling just how wrong. After all, item 9.a) is specifically phrased "Your five (5) year eligibility is from YYYY-MM-DD to YYYY-MM-DD" There is no way to read this as a period of time other than five years.

Likewise the address history, item 10.a), which refers to your "entire" five year period and explicitly instructs that all addresses "inside and outside Canada" need to be listed for this period.

Similar language in item 11.a) for reporting work history.

That is, the consultant is so far wrong that raises some RED flags. Make sure to verify the consultant is an authorized consultant. See IRCC website for how to do this (quite easy).

DO NOT USE AN UNAUTHORIZED CONSULTANT. Best to report anyone acting as a consultant who is not an authorized consultant (although I realize many might be uncomfortable doing this).

The consultant is correct that if there are no days prior to landing reported as present in Canada, these omissions do not affect your eligibility . . . EXCEPT to be eligible the PR must submit what is considered to be a "complete" application, and the instructions clearly state that these items must be completed for the entire five year period for the application to be complete. Both items 10 and 11 warn that missing periods of time will result in the application being returned.

Reactions: Son-of-A-Gun