+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help! Child's visa expired

hbataille

Star Member
Jun 19, 2018
I'm afraid we've made a dumb mistake.

Basically, we have been asked to upload documents that we have already uploaded in our original application, namely valid passports and and proof of status for my daughter. (visa) This led to a horrible discovery that her visa is actually expired. BUT when we landed here a year and 1/2 ago, the border agent said the visa was attached to her passport, and as long as we renewed her passport she would be legal. We also crossed to the states and back many times with the visa expired, and they explained again that the paper is attached to the passport and if the passport if updated the visa is as well.

But I'm assuming for PR that must be the problem and we should have gotten it renewed? Is there any super fast way to do that? Can we drive to the border and do it there?

And this does not answer the question of why they asked for my son's passport again, even though we provided both a French and American passport for him. Both are valid, although the US one expires in June and his visa expires soon as well.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm afraid we've made a dumb mistake.

Basically, we have been asked to upload documents that we have already uploaded in our original application, namely valid passports and and proof of status for my daughter. (visa) This led to a horrible discovery that her visa is actually expired. BUT when we landed here a year and 1/2 ago, the border agent said the visa was attached to her passport, and as long as we renewed her passport she would be legal. We also crossed to the states and back many times with the visa expired, and they explained again that the paper is attached to the passport and if the passport if updated the visa is as well.

But I'm assuming for PR that must be the problem and we should have gotten it renewed? Is there any super fast way to do that? Can we drive to the border and do it there?

And this does not answer the question of why they asked for my son's passport again, even though we provided both a French and American passport for him. Both are valid, although the US one expires in June and his visa expires soon as well.
You need to provide more information. What passport does she hold? Does she have a TRV stamped in her passport or are you referring to a Visitor Record? What status did she enter with? When did she last enter Canada?

hbataille

Star Member
Jun 19, 2018
Sorry, I said "Visa" but it is a visitor record she holds, valid via my husband's work permit. She entered the United States around Christmas time and several times over the past year and 1/2. They have explained to us at the border at least twice that the validity of the visitor record is essentially tied to her passport, and as long as the US passport is valid, so is her status document. So this is why we ignored the fact that it expired. But now I'm wondering why they are asking once again for proof or status? It might be because we should have renewed the visitor record? Can we drive to the border and do that, because they have given us a week to send needed documents.

She has both valid French and US passport, but the visitor record is attached to her US passport.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Sorry, I said "Visa" but it is a visitor record she holds, valid via my husband's work permit. She entered the United States around Christmas time and several times over the past year and 1/2. They have explained to us at the border at least twice that the validity of the visitor record is essentially tied to her passport, and as long as the US passport is valid, so is her status document. So this is why we ignored the fact that it expired. But now I'm wondering why they are asking once again for proof or status? It might be because we should have renewed the visitor record? Can we drive to the border and do that, because they have given us a week to send needed documents.

She has both valid French and US passport, but the visitor record is attached to her US passport.
What they explained to you is incorrect. The Visitor Record was valid for as long as it stated.

Further proof of status is not an unusual request.

Visits status resets when a person leaves Canada. As she entered Canada less than 6 months ago, her status is valid. Send a copy of the passport stamp. If her passport wasn't stamped, explain that.

Reactions: scylla

hbataille

Star Member
Jun 19, 2018
Boy, they never explained about it re-setting. They basically said that the children's status is attached to my husban's (valid for three years) but that when their passports expired that would be important to re-issue the passport. They never said renewing visitor record was necessary, nor that it re-sets.

No one stamped her passport at Christmas!