+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*HELP* Can I leave Canada after the citizenship test?

ioiame

Jan 4, 2017
I just received invitation to write the citizenship test. However, I just received a job offer from China, which means I need to relocate back to China asap.
I understand that I need to present in Canada when writing the online citizenship test - but do I need to be in Canada to attend the virtual oath ceremony? Can I leave Canada after the citizenship test?

Desperately need help! The company said that if I can't relocate by the end of March, they would cancel the offer. :(

Thanks everyone :)

adey786

Jun 29, 2010
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-01-16
Doc's Request.
13-01-16
Nomination.....
08-12-15
AOR Received.
05-01-16
File Transfer...
03-03-16
Med's Done....
13-01-16
Passport Req..
08-05-16
VISA ISSUED...
26-05-16
I just received invitation to write the citizenship test. However, I just received a job offer from China, which means I need to relocate back to China asap.
I understand that I need to present in Canada when writing the online citizenship test - but do I need to be in Canada to attend the virtual oath ceremony? Can I leave Canada after the citizenship test?

Desperately need help! The company said that if I can't relocate by the end of March, they would cancel the offer. :(

Thanks everyone :)
Yes, you have to be in Canada for Oath ceremony.

If you want to use Canadian travel document for trip to China:

After Oath, It may take couple of weeks to get citizenship certificate and then couple of weeks to get passport. So keep in mind 4 to 6 weeks for the passport arrival.

If I were you:

I would join anyway and fly back for the Oath and would also need to fly back to collect passport.

Good luck!

ioiame

Jan 4, 2017
Yes, you have to be in Canada for Oath ceremony.

If you want to use Canadian travel document for trip to China:

After Oath, It may take couple of weeks to get citizenship certificate and then couple of weeks to get passport. So keep in mind 4 to 6 weeks for the passport arrival.

If I were you:

I would join anyway and fly back for the Oath and would also need to fly back to collect passport.

Good luck!
Hi Adey, thank you so much for your advice! Do you know if I can still travel with my China passport after the Oath? If this is doable, I was thinking perhaps I can apply for Canadian passport in China.

In this time of disruption, it's really tough and costly to "fly" :p. if there's no other better solution, I guess I will have to give up the job offer (sadly)...

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Hi Adey, thank you so much for your advice! Do you know if I can still travel with my China passport after the Oath? If this is doable, I was thinking perhaps I can apply for Canadian passport in China.

In this time of disruption, it's really tough and costly to "fly" :p. if there's no other better solution, I guess I will have to give up the job offer (sadly)...
Does China allow dual citizenship? Several colleagues of mine in the past said they would have to give up their Chinese citizenship if they became Canadian.

You’ll have a problem coming back into Canadian without having a Canadian passport because as a Canadian you must enter using one. There is one option if you qualify for it:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html#findOut

It’s a special travel authorization for Canadians with dual citizenship. There are some requirements for it though. So, check the link and see if you would meet their criteria.

Reactions: adey786

Sweetcandyyy

Feb 7, 2021

I believe your Pr card will be cut when u attend oath. So u cannot use Chinese passport “flying” because u don’t have valid canada travel permit. So don’t put ur self in risk!

fcow

Jan 30, 2021
I'd suggest you wait until your Oath ceremony is done before going to China especially during the pandemic. You can leave Canada without valid PR card, and you can apply for your first Canadian passport abroad

Reactions: ioiame

adey786

Jun 29, 2010
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-01-16
Doc's Request.
13-01-16
Nomination.....
08-12-15
AOR Received.
05-01-16
File Transfer...
03-03-16
Med's Done....
13-01-16
Passport Req..
08-05-16
VISA ISSUED...
26-05-16

Friends have covered it well. You should go back to prospective employer and explain this situation. I am sure they can try to accomodate your request. Open you negotiation lines sooner than later.

You can offer remote work from Canada until you can fly on Canadian passport while you can offer to take first salary once you are in China. I have International tax background, though never came across Canada-China double tax treaty, but believe "not receiving cash/salary while in Canada from Chinese employer will not have adverse corporate tax consequences for Chinese employer". In that case question is : can you survive without cash/remuneration in this case.

If I were you, I would try to give test quickly at start of the testing window:

IRCC is unpredictable as in how quick they invite you for Oath. However you can try to give test asap at the start of testing window - You never know case processing officer would send you Oath invite after few days of the test.

All the very best !!!

Reactions: ioiame

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Friends have covered it well. You should go back to prospective employer and explain this situation. I am sure they can try to accomodate your request. Open you negotiation lines sooner than later.

You can offer remote work from Canada until you can fly on Canadian passport while you can offer to take first salary once you are in China. I have International tax background, though never came across Canada-China double tax treaty, but believe "not receiving cash/salary while in Canada from Chinese employer will not have adverse corporate tax consequences for Chinese employer". In that case question is : can you survive without cash/remuneration in this case.

If I were you, I would try to give test quickly at start of the testing window:

IRCC is unpredictable as in how quick they invite you for Oath. However you can try to give test asap at the start of testing window - You never know case processing officer would send you Oath invite after few days of the test.

All the very best !!!
Wouldn't working without being compensated while in Canada and delaying payment until you enter China be considered hiding assets by the CRA?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
As others have observed:

Yes, you can leave Canada after the Citizenship test.

BUT the oath can ONLY be taken IN Canada.

So, if you leave Canada after taking the test, you will need to come back to Canada for the oath . . . whether it is virtual or otherwise. Beware that notice for the oath may not give you much time to arrange and make the trip. Beware that the current pandemic can continue to disrupt the availability of international travel. And other stuff can happen to make it difficult to get to Canada in time to attend the oath. Living outside Canada while the citizenship application is still pending can be risky in the best of times.

Beyond that there is quite a lot of confused, misleading, and not relevant chatter above, in the responses above.

I will not make an effort to clarify or correct it all. Especially since I am NO expert and cannot definitively answer some of the side-issues that have come up. And especially since the decisions you need to make depend so much on facts and circumstances particular to you, personally, which even an expert cannot answer (least not reliably) without an in-depth consultation going into facts and circumstances far more than would be appropriate in a forum like this.

But I will address some:

Do you know if I can still travel with my China passport after the Oath? If this is doable, I was thinking perhaps I can apply for Canadian passport in China.
You can travel internationally with a VALID passport issued by China.

Canadian laws and rules do not impose any restrictions on international travel by Canadian PRs or citizens using VALID travel documents from other countries . . . except that Canadians must present appropriate Canadian documents when boarding commercial transportation coming to Canada from abroad.

@AshesNdust raises the question about whether that passport will still be valid if you become a citizen of Canada. That is, of course, a question about the law of China and its rules. Canadian laws and rules are NOT relevant. If the passport from China remains valid after you become a Canadian citizen, you can travel internationally using that passport. In contrast, if becoming a citizen of another country invalidates the passport from China (such as pursuant to laws in China prohibiting dual citizenship), which again depends on what the laws and rules of China are, then most countries in the world will not recognize it as a valid travel document.

Once you are a Canadian citizen a passport from China is not adequate for the purpose of boarding commercial transportation coming to Canada. To board an airline flight coming to Canada, for example, you will need to either obtain and present a Canadian passport (which can be obtained through a visa office abroad) or as @AshesNdust suggested, obtain a special travel document for the flight. (What @AshesNdust gets wrong is the assertion that a Canadian "must enter" Canada using a Canadian passport; that is not true.)

Thus, @fcow gets it right, you can fly from Canada without a PR card. Whereas @Sweetcandyyy gets it wrong when saying "u cannot use Chinese passport 'flying' because u don’t have valid canada travel permit." You only need a Canadian travel document or alternative, like a PR card (which is a status card, NOT a travel document), for flying TO Canada.

NONE of the above will come close to answering what you really need to know about the viability of taking the test and soon leaving to take employment in China. The practical, logistical issues loom large.

Which is probably why some of the responses have wandered outside the scope of the particular questions asked.

Even though it is probably an irrelevant tangent for you, not a viable option, there is a need to clarify some "tax-consequences" aspects in regards to the suggestion about arranging to start the employment working remotely in Canada. Even though it is not clear that tax consequences is a significant factor in determining what you decide to do about this job offer.

Wouldn't working without being compensated while in Canada and delaying payment until you enter China be considered hiding assets by the CRA?
No. Not in itself.

Especially since CRA rules generally do not require reporting or disclosing assets.

Moreover, if an individual residing in Canada begins working remotely for an employer outside Canada, and delays receiving the compensation until after the individual has relocated abroad, doing so for the purpose of accommodating the EMPLOYER's interests in regards to another country's laws and tax-consequences which apply to the EMPLOYER, does NOT directly affect what the Canadian's reporting or tax payment obligations are in Canada.

More in particular: The arrangement itself would not constitute hiding INCOME from CRA or otherwise constitute a failure to report the income to CRA. In no way would that be hiding assets.

Beyond that, the individual's personal obligations according to Canadian law, vary considerably depending on a wide range of details, not the least of which are whether the individual is required to file a Canadian tax return for the tax year involved, and even assuming the CRA rules mandate the individual file a tax return, what and how to report will vary widely. Here again, not the least of which is the particular details of the employment relationship. So, if this was the question here (which it does NOT appear to be, probably not even in the ballpark), among considerations is whether the formalities of the relationship dictate whether the income earned while working (remotely) in Canada is Canadian source income (as it would be if the individual is working as an independent contractor, for example) or foreign-source income.

Which is just scratching the surface of tax-implication considerations. Which can get very complicated.

But in any regard, the arrangement to delay compensation itself does NOT constitute concealing either income or assets. What needs to be reported to CRA is an entirely separate matter, a complicated matter. And beyond that, what tax, IF ANY, might be owed based on the income is yet another, separate matter, and likewise complicated.

Note: in the situation so far as it has been described here, the proposed scenario, convincing a foreign employer to commence the employment remotely and defer compensation, seems highly unlikely to me. But I do not know. But if such an arrangement is done, the Canadian tax reporting and paying side of things is a totally separate matter and probably too complicated for this forum, definitely outside the scope of this forum.

AshesNdust

Jan 4, 2015
Once you are a Canadian citizen a passport from China is not adequate for the purpose of boarding commercial transportation coming to Canada. To board an airline flight coming to Canada, for example, you will need to either obtain and present a Canadian passport (which can be obtained through a visa office abroad) or as @AshesNdust suggested, obtain a special travel document for the flight. (What @AshesNdust gets wrong is the assertion that a Canadian "must enter" Canada using a Canadian passport; that is not true.)
I should have been more clear (really messed it up) that I meant Canadians with dual citizenship flying into Canada, as per the CIC website:

”Dual Canadian citizens can no longer travel to or transit through Canada by air with a non-Canadian passport. You need a valid Canadian passport to board your flight.

If your country needs you to enter and exit that country using a passport issued by its government, you will still need a valid Canadian passport to board your flight to Canada. Make sure to carry both passports when you travel. Find out more about why you must travel with a valid Canadian passport when travelling by air.”

The interesting thing is that because Canada now requires people from most countries to file an eTA and the only way to avoid that is to hold a Canadian passport. So, you pretty much have to have a Canadian passport to technically enter Canada by air whether you are a dual citizen or not. While you can argue that Canada has to allow you to enter since you‘re a citizen, the airline have no responsibility to help you get there.

Of course, I’m assuming that the OP is planning on flying back to Canada. :) If someone is going by land in a private car or walking to the boarder then I believe you could use any valid Canadian id at the border to demand entry as a citizen.

adey786

Jun 29, 2010
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-01-16
Doc's Request.
13-01-16
Nomination.....
08-12-15
AOR Received.
05-01-16
File Transfer...
03-03-16
Med's Done....
13-01-16
Passport Req..
08-05-16
VISA ISSUED...
26-05-16
As others have observed:

So, if you leave Canada after taking the test, you will need to come back to Canada for the oath . . . whether it is virtual or otherwise. Beware that notice for the oath may not give you much time to arrange and make the trip. Beware that the current pandemic can continue to disrupt the availability of international travel. And other stuff can happen to make it difficult to get to Canada in time to attend the oath. Living outside Canada while the citizenship application is still pending can be risky in the best of times.

Beyond that there is quite a lot of confused, misleading, and not relevant chatter above, in the responses above.

I will not make an effort to clarify or correct it all. Especially since I am NO expert and cannot definitively answer some of the side-issues that have come up. And especially since the decisions you need to make depend so much on facts and circumstances particular to you, personally, which even an expert cannot answer (least not reliably) without an in-depth consultation going into facts and circumstances far more than would be appropriate in a forum like this.

But I will address some:

Canadian laws and rules do not impose any restrictions on international travel by Canadian PRs or citizens using VALID travel documents from other countries . . . except that Canadians must present appropriate Canadian documents when boarding commercial transportation coming to Canada from abroad.

@AshesNdust raises the question about whether that passport will still be valid if you become a citizen of Canada. That is, of course, a question about the law of China and its rules. Canadian laws and rules are NOT relevant. If the passport from China remains valid after you become a Canadian citizen, you can travel internationally using that passport. In contrast, if becoming a citizen of another country invalidates the passport from China (such as pursuant to laws in China prohibiting dual citizenship), which again depends on what the laws and rules of China are, then most countries in the world will not recognize it as a valid travel document.

Thus, @fcow gets it right, you can fly from Canada without a PR card. Whereas @Sweetcandyyy gets it wrong when saying "u cannot use Chinese passport 'flying' because u don’t have valid canada travel permit." You only need a Canadian travel document or alternative, like a PR card (which is a status card, NOT a travel document), for flying TO Canada.

NONE of the above will come close to answering what you really need to know about the viability of taking the test and soon leaving to take employment in China. The practical, logistical issues loom large.

Which is probably why some of the responses have wandered outside the scope of the particular questions asked.

Even though it is probably an irrelevant tangent for you, not a viable option, there is a need to clarify some "tax-consequences" aspects in regards to the suggestion about arranging to start the employment working remotely in Canada. Even though it is not clear that tax consequences is a significant factor in determining what you decide to do about this job offer.

No. Not in itself.

Especially since CRA rules generally do not require reporting or disclosing assets.

Moreover, if an individual residing in Canada begins working remotely for an employer outside Canada, and delays receiving the compensation until after the individual has relocated abroad, doing so for the purpose of accommodating the EMPLOYER's interests in regards to another country's laws and tax-consequences which apply to the EMPLOYER, does NOT directly affect what the Canadian's reporting or tax payment obligations are in Canada.

More in particular: The arrangement itself would not constitute hiding INCOME from CRA or otherwise constitute a failure to report the income to CRA. In no way would that be hiding assets.

Beyond that, the individual's personal obligations according to Canadian law, vary considerably depending on a wide range of details, not the least of which are whether the individual is required to file a Canadian tax return for the tax year involved, and even assuming the CRA rules mandate the individual file a tax return, what and how to report will vary widely. Here again, not the least of which is the particular details of the employment relationship. So, if this was the question here (which it does NOT appear to be, probably not even in the ballpark), among considerations is whether the formalities of the relationship dictate whether the income earned while working (remotely) in Canada is Canadian source income (as it would be if the individual is working as an independent contractor, for example) or foreign-source income.

Which is just scratching the surface of tax-implication considerations. Which can get very complicated.

But in any regard, the arrangement to delay compensation itself does NOT constitute concealing either income or assets. What needs to be reported to CRA is an entirely separate matter, a complicated matter. And beyond that, what tax, IF ANY, might be owed based on the income is yet another, separate matter, and likewise complicated.

Note: in the situation so far as it has been described here, the proposed scenario, convincing a foreign employer to commence the employment remotely and defer compensation, seems highly unlikely to me. But I do not know. But if such an arrangement is done, the Canadian tax reporting and paying side of things is a totally separate matter and probably too complicated for this forum, definitely outside the scope of this forum.
A big thank you for commenting on this post !

On a personal note, I love your detailed notes highlighting any and all aspects !

Thank you and stay safe!

Reactions: BOYX

ivand

Star Member
Mar 15, 2016

No, it's a bad advice. Your PR card will be void after the citizenship ceremony and you cannot use it to travel.
Theoretically, you can fly to China right after receiving the citizenship certificate (a couple of weeks after the ceremony) and apply for a Canadian passport in China, but I would do it in Canada if I were you.

ioiame

Jan 4, 2017
As others have observed:

But I will address some:

No. Not in itself.

WOW! THANK YOU SO MUCH for the detailed explanation! The company is not willing to wait for me due to uncertainty. So... after discussing my problems and concerns with my family, I've decided to give up this job offer and stay in Canada until I get a Canadian passport!

I applied for the citizenship in September 2019, which, as per the normal schedule, I was supposed to get my citizenship by Oct 2020. Now due to the pandemic, everything is just out of track - Both the test invitation and the job offer came at a bad timing...

But I still want to stay positive, solving all my problems step by step, one by one: get my citizenship first -> then find a better job.
If I can get an offer, I can get MORE offers!

Thanks everyone who offered help! Happy Lunar New Year to you!! :)

Kaymin

Oct 11, 2020
Thank you for sharing this case. My case is slightly different
My company asked me to relocate and they have no problem for me to go back to Canada for Oath and working from there Virtually until I get the passport
will it be ok if I move my family as well? I will leave the house not rented and we can be back on time for Oth whatever the price is

what do you guys advise? This is a career requirement