+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP: As a live-in caregiver, can I volunteer in a food company on weekends?

rrrrrreBecca

Dec 4, 2013
I am a Live-in caregiver here and recently decide to spend my leisure time volunteering in a food company in order to expand my knowledge.

But I heard that there are several rules of being a volunteer, and I do not clearly understand how the government define "performance of an activity in direct competition with the activities of Canadians and permanent residents in the Canadian labour market".

In fact, the company is not going to recruit a new employee even though I am not a volunteer there. The manager of this company is one of my friends and she do me a favor to offer me an opportunity. So it is not that like competing with Canadian.

How can I deal with it? Ask the company for a proof? or just give up this idea?

Looking forward for advice. thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - you can't volunteer with a food company. Normally people are paid to do work for a food company. So if you volunteer - this will be classified as illegal work. You are in fact competing with Canadians because normally the company would have to pay someone to do this work and you are taking this job away by volunteering (this is how CIC will view it).

You can only volunteer for things that people would not normally be paid to do. Example: volunteering at a church bazar.

rrrrrreBecca

Dec 4, 2013
scylla said:
No - you can't volunteer with a food company. Normally people are paid to do work for a food company. So if you volunteer - this will be classified as illegal work. You are in fact competing with Canadians because normally the company would have to pay someone to do this work and you are taking this job away by volunteering (this is how CIC will view it).

You can only volunteer for things that people would not normally be paid to do. Example: volunteering at a church bazar.
thank you.

So this volunteer activity is illegal even though the company has no need to recruit a new staff, right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
rrrrrreBecca said:
thank you.

So this volunteer activity is illegal even though the company has no need to recruit a new staff, right?
Yes - it's still illegal. You will be doing work for a company that normally pays people. That makes it illegal.