+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hearing experience

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,

I am a bit confused with the procedure which is going on in my case. Shortly I a Serbian citizen, I came into the Canada on 29th September.
I applied for me and my daughter on 24th December. She was born in the USA, she has double citizenship Serbian and American. My ex husband got Convenient Refugee document.

I was invited for medical exam on 7th January, first interview was on 17th February. They took again my biometrics even if they were valid from the last year. Lady from IRCC just gave me the copy of my passport (seized) and said that next interview will be for 4/6 weeks. I’ve received an email from IRCC that I’ve got a work permit, 8th March. Today I’ve received it with Canada post.
so actually my question is, when I can expect to get some kind of the document becauseI don’t have any valid paper or document with my photo?
It will be very difficult to get asylum as a Serbian citizen. If your child has US citizenship they will almost certainly be denied asylum. Has your spouse been approved as a protected person in Canada already? If they are also Serbian you will have an uphill battle proving that you qualify for asylum.

SRB30

Mar 13, 2023
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22/12/2022
Med's Request
03/01/2023
Med's Done....
07/01/2023
Interview........
17/02/2023
Passport Req..
17/02/2023
LANDED..........
29/09/2022
I applied as a refugee also, I am victim of violence in my country. He got his status as protected person. I thought so, for them Serbian passport is like I have passport from the hell. Husband is not Serbian, he is from Montenegro.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I applied as a refugee also, I am victim of violence in my country. He got his status as protected person. I thought so, for them Serbian passport is like I have passport from the hell. Husband is not Serbian, he is from Montenegro.
Approval rate is still not great. You will have to show that you have attempted to move within Serbia and there is nowhere safe throughout the country. If your husband is from Montenegro and also applying for asylum you’ll need to show your family attempted to live in Montenegro and that was unsafe as well. When did your Serbian friend get asylum. If it was a long time ago yes chances of approval were much higher then.

SRB30

Mar 13, 2023
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22/12/2022
Med's Request
03/01/2023
Med's Done....
07/01/2023
Interview........
17/02/2023
Passport Req..
17/02/2023
LANDED..........
29/09/2022
We tried to live in Montenegro also, I’ve added all in my form. I am just very confused with the procedure for the papers which I’ve got. Whatever I try to use or sign on, they ask for the proof of residence, work permit is not that kind of proof.
I will update here with the next steps in my case. Might be helpful for someone who is struggling like I do.
Thank you anyway, at least I respect realistic answers.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We tried to live in Montenegro also, I’ve added all in my form. I am just very confused with the procedure for the papers which I’ve got. Whatever I try to use or sign on, they ask for the proof of residence, work permit is not that kind of proof.
I will update here with the next steps in my case. Might be helpful for someone who is struggling like I do.
Thank you anyway, at least I respect realistic answers.
Would suggest discussing with a lawyer about your chances of approval based on your case before filing an asylum case. Having a negative asylum case and removal creates longterm problems for you to travel throughout the world. Would also suggest looking at economic immigration programs give your countries of origin don’t have high success rates, aren’t at war, facing huge instability like Venezuela and Haiti at the moment, etc. Opportunities may not be as great but that isn’t an asylum reason.

Saralynn97

Mar 7, 2018
You have actually benefited from hearing taking 2 years. Had you had your hearing 2 years the success rates were much lower than currently are from Haiti.
Yeah the situation in Haiti has got so worst now I’m just praying they don’t cancel my hearing due the strike, I hope everything works out.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yeah the situation in Haiti has got so worst now I’m just praying they don’t cancel my hearing due the strike, I hope everything works out.
Would prepare for a decent chance that it gets cancelled given parties striking are far from an agreement.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Refugee hearing 2023-2024 timeline
Asylum Aug/2023
Medical sep/2023
Work permit brown paper Nov /2023
Waiting my hearing date
Toronto office.
Any one timeline?
Could be 6 months to 2+ years until you get a hearing. A lot depend on whether you are concerned a less complex case.

Reactions: waseememirates1

Lon23

Feb 13, 2024
Hi,
Can I apply for asylum in Canada if i cant go back to my home country due to religious persecution. Im currently on a student visa in europe but my circumstances might not guarantee a renewal to my study permit. I have been in europe for the past 9 years. My family is currently in canada