+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hearing Date and Concern Over Lawyer

n.o.u0731

Jun 25, 2018
Hi Guys,
I m refugee claimant living in Montreal, I arrived in February 2018 and i m suppose to go for hearing June but unfortunately the date was changed and i m yet to get another hearing date so that kinda of make me feel worry if the government still call people for hearing. Secondly, I use the Refugee lawyer which means the government are to pay for her but she is not reliable because it takes weeks to hear back from her each time i send her email, she doesn't even acknowledge calls because she claim to be busy most time. idea update/idea please

Thank you for you concerns guys

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
Hi Guys,
I m refugee claimant living in Montreal, I arrived in February 2018 and i m suppose to go for hearing June but unfortunately the date was changed and i m yet to get another hearing date so that kinda of make me feel worry if the government still call people for hearing. Secondly, I use the Refugee lawyer which means the government are to pay for her but she is not reliable because it takes weeks to hear back from her each time i send her email, she doesn't even acknowledge calls because she claim to be busy most time. idea update/idea please

Thank you for you concerns guys
The first hearing date that a refugee claimant is given will always get postponed, so that’s normal in ur situation.

Lawyers do get busy all the time, if you could go to her office in person that would make it easier for you, or leave her a written letter or something.

Reactions: n.o.u0731

n.o.u0731

Jun 25, 2018
The first hearing date that a refugee claimant is given will always get postponed, so that’s normal in ur situation.

Lawyers do get busy all the time, if you could go to her office in person that would make it easier for you, or leave her a written letter or something.

Any idea how long i have to wait for the actual hearing date please?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Legal aid lawyers have taken on many more cases given the influx of asylum seekers so they are very busy and they don't have any information on when you will have your hearing. Unlike a private lawyer who will bill you if you contact them and want a response a legal aid lawyer is paid by case. Expect to be refused access by a secretary if you show up in person without an appointment. If you want a lawyer hat can be in constant contact will you you'll likely have to pay for it.

Medoxtar

Star Member
Aug 20, 2018
Legal aid lawyers have taken on many more cases given the influx of asylum seekers so they are very busy and they don't have any information on when you will have your hearing. Unlike a private lawyer who will bill you if you contact them and want a response a legal aid lawyer is paid by case. Expect to be refused access by a secretary if you show up in person without an appointment. If you want a lawyer hat can be in constant contact will you you'll likely have to pay for it.
Can he still change the lawyer to the one he pays and get informations frequently?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can he still change the lawyer to the one he pays and get informations frequently?
Sure you can switch to a private lawyer at any time. The lawyer will spend more time with you and answer your questions to the best of their ability.