+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Healthcare under IEC work permit

addonis1990

Jun 15, 2016
Hi,

My question is actually not related specifically to some visa issues but rather to healthcare coverage.
I have recently moved to Canada under an IEC temprorary work permit. Before entering the Canadian soil, I purchased a cheap health insurance from my country that covers a few basic things, simply because I knew the officer in the airport might need it to approve my admission. Now that I live by myself and went through some health issues (never went to a doctor though), I am a little bit worried about my healthcare coverage in here. I'd love to know what options I have as a temporary resident. Do I need to buy some specific plans to avoid outrageous bills in case I had to visit a doctor or go to the hospital? I've heard that only permanent resident get free healthcare from their respective provinces.

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Those on IEC work permits don't qualify for provincial health care coverage (which is why you must purchase private health care insurance). If the private health care insurance you have purchased is insufficient - then I would start by contacting your existing provider to see if you can upgrade to an enhanced plan. If that's not possible - you'll have to look for another private health care insurance provider.

Make sure you read the fine print on your policy closely. Most only cover emergencies and require you to pay for regular care (e.g. visit to the doctor) out of your own pocket.