+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health services for child

manp1988

Star Member
May 10, 2019
Canada
Hi,

I am currently in Canada and my wife is out of Canada. We are expecting a baby this September but due to her late visa arrival, I am not bringing my wife to Canada after 7 months of pregnancy as I dont have any family doctor here and I don't know whom to contact if there is any health concerns happen to my wife if she comes here. Therefore we have decided to bring my family to Canada once the child is 5 months old. Is it a wise decision or can i bring her here and can get medical services?

2) If my family comes after my baby is born out of Canada, what kind of medical services my child can get, do we need to find a medical doctor?.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I am currently in Canada and my wife is out of Canada. We are expecting a baby this September but due to her late visa arrival, I am not bringing my wife to Canada after 7 months of pregnancy as I dont have any family doctor here and I don't know whom to contact if there is any health concerns happen to my wife if she comes here. Therefore we have decided to bring my family to Canada once the child is 5 months old. Is it a wise decision or can i bring her here and can get medical services?

2) If my family comes after my baby is born out of Canada, what kind of medical services my child can get, do we need to find a medical doctor?.
What is your wife’s status in Canada and where do you live in Canada? How much time have you spent out of Canada especially in the past year? How ,UCI time have you spent out of Canada since your arrival and when did you arrive?

manp1988

Star Member
May 10, 2019
Canada
My wife has received her open work visa and I live in Ottawa.. But i think this does not matter now as we have decided to have baby in our home country to avoid her international travel.. A family doctor here is taking months maybe year to be appointed as I don't have one...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My wife has received her open work visa and I live in Ottawa.. But i think this does not matter now as we have decided to have baby in our home country to avoid her international travel.. A family doctor here is taking months maybe year to be appointed as I don't have one...
Whether you are a PR or have a WP and already have OHIP (plus meet the residency requirements to qualify for OHIP) determines whether your child qualifies for OHIP. A valid health card does not mean you qualify for OHIP (http://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card). If you are on a WP, you meet the residency requirement to qualify for OHIP and your child gets a TRV then they will qualify for OHIP. You can put your names down for a GP but otherwise you’re stuck with frequenting a waok-in clinic unfortunately.