+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Issue after becoming PR

jirenhere

Sep 6, 2018
Hi forum members. I got my PR earlier this year in January and I finished my soft landing. I received my PR card as well. I'm planning to move permanently to Canada in the next few months. Last month I had some medical procedure done for something else and the doctors found out that I have Hepatitis B during a blood test. My virus load is low but the doctor started me on some medication which I have to take everyday for several years.

Will this be an issue in the future once I move permanently to Canada for future applications? I was never tested for it before and the panel doctor didn't test for it during my PR application. So nobody including me knew that I had it. Will I be able to get the prescription medication in Canada once I move permanently? Will I be running into any issues? Please kindly advise.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Find it extremely strange that a Hep B test wasn't performed. It is one of the standard tests. You also could have contracted the disease after your soft landing. You can still immigrate but there is no pharmacare program in Canada so you will likely have to pay for medication. Hopefully your future job will include extended health benefits. You may be reported to public health and expect that you will likely have difficulty working in some industries like food services and health care. Not sure at what point in your treatment you would be allowed to work in those sectors.

jirenhere

Sep 6, 2018
Thank you for the reply canuck78. I have no idea when I contracted it, as you mentioned it might be after I landed. So all I need to is pay for medication till I find a job which includes health benefits? I work in marketing sector.

AskBD

Star Member
May 27, 2019
Hi forum members. I got my PR earlier this year in January and I finished my soft landing. I received my PR card as well. I'm planning to move permanently to Canada in the next few months. Last month I had some medical procedure done for something else and the doctors found out that I have Hepatitis B during a blood test. My virus load is low but the doctor started me on some medication which I have to take everyday for several years.

Will this be an issue in the future once I move permanently to Canada for future applications? I was never tested for it before and the panel doctor didn't test for it during my PR application. So nobody including me knew that I had it. Will I be able to get the prescription medication in Canada once I move permanently? Will I be running into any issues? Please kindly advise.
Hi Jiren, may I know the update as of now.. What is your experience by this time with this Hep. B related challenges in PR process?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Jiren, may I know the update as of now.. What is your experience by this time with this Hep. B related challenges in PR process?
The original poster in this thread was diagnosed with Hep AFTER getting PR. Is this what has happened to you? If so, no issues.

If you are just at the point of applying for PR, that's a different story.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Heb B, unless you have a minimal viral load, is contagious and you should be self-identifying to public health or your family doctor. You don’t want to be responsible for spreading the disease to family, friends, colleagues, customers, etc.