+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Insurance

Jerry1410

Star Member
May 17, 2015
My PR Card is renewed and I came back to Canada in Feb 2017. When I went to apply for the OHIP Health Insurance, the Rep at the counter told me to get a bank statement and I did that. When I went back in Apri 2017 after getting the monthly bank statement, the Rep told me that I will be eligible for this only after 3 months from date of return, i.e. in May 2017 and I should get the April Bank Statement and come after that.

So far so good. No problem.

After that the Rep at the counter called the Head Office and the lady over there came up with some more requirements. She asked if I had a list of several documents. I told her No. Then she said that I should bring the E-Ticket on which I came back to Canada. Although I cannot see the rationale for this, since this is something easy I can give it. Everybody comes by a flight and they do not come walking.

In the OHIP application it is mentioned that one needs to have Passport and PR Card to prove identity and address proof which is on the Bank Statement.

After that she told me that I should get a cell phone with a receipt in my name. I could not understand why she was asking for this. My wife and I use one phone to cut down on expenses and I cannot understand why the lady is asking me to get another phone in my name. Can I question her about it.

My question is: Is the lady asking for something which is within the policy limits or she is making a unreasonable demand and prescribing something out of her own pocket.
This is in Mississauga, Ontario.

Can somebody knowledgeable about this advise me on this and is it OK for me to question the lady about which she is asking for these additional documents when only Passport, PR Card and Bank Statement are sufficient.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They are trying to determine how long you have been gone from Canada and whether you were not entitled to previous services. Have you left Canada since arriving in February? What have you done since May?

Jerry1410

Star Member
May 17, 2015
No. I could not cope with the severe winter and suffered from depression and went back to my country in April to take treatment. I was terribly sick and had not slept may for 1 to 1.5 month. I did not have health insurance and taking private psychiatric treatment in Canada would have been very expensive. Now I will come back in March 18 and I expect the same questions when I apply for the Health Insurance.

A returning permanent resident can get health insurance after 3 months of arrival and so I could not understand the need for all those additional questions.

May be from the e ticket they try to see if it is one way ticket or a return ticket. Other than that I cannot see the merit of asking for the e ticket.
I think asking to have a phone is to make sure that you have some sort of commitment to stay there.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think there may have been some miscommunication and they probably wanted a few pieces of ID with your permanent Canadian address on it. I'm not sure you have one. In order to get an OHIP card you must wait 3 months but you also can't leave for over a month in the first 6 months and you must live in Ontario for 6 months in that year. You seem to be out of Canada for most of the time so I think they were trying to establish if you had used OHIP in the past incorrectly. I would anticipate a secondary review when you try and renew your PR card so I hope you are taking good notes and saving paperwork since your wife seems to also be travelling between Dubai, Canada and India. It also seems like they have become more concerned about whether a move abroad is due to the Canadian citizen or the PR.

Also psychologists aren't covered by OHIP so most people have to pay out of pocket or through their extended work benefits. Psychiatrists are usually too busy to do counselling on a regular basis although there are obviously exemptions.

Jerry1410

Star Member
May 17, 2015
Hi
Thanks for your reply. I do not have a valid OHIP Card. I got one a long time back. That has expired and I have never used it.
Oh you seem to be knowing something about me and my wife . Yes my PR renewal was subjected to a secondary and I provided them with all the necessary papers and they approved it. That is how I came back to Canada.