+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Insurance with Canada PR first 3 months during COVID times

rex230

Dec 9, 2019
I am planning to land soon in Toronto. Although OHIP 3 months eligibility requirement has been waived off, there is still considerable amount of time one can spend after landing and actually getting a health card. Can anyone here please suggest any kind of health insurance to take prior to flying ? my home country is India.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am planning to land soon in Toronto. Although OHIP 3 months eligibility requirement has been waived off, there is still considerable amount of time one can spend after landing and actually getting a health card. Can anyone here please suggest any kind of health insurance to take prior to flying ? my home country is India.
It doesn't matter how long it takes to apply and get the card. Coverage is backdated to when a person qualifies.

Reactions: rex230

ProjectCanada

Nov 15, 2018
It doesn't matter how long it takes to apply and get the card. Coverage is backdated to when a person qualifies.
I am in the same situation as the post creator and I'm afraid I didn't understand your response.

Let me rephrase:

I supposedly land in Toronto in the mid of July 2020 and after leaving the airport I go to my AIRBNB and call the number as stated in this link:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

What happens then?

Do they tell me
" You do not qualify for OHIP because you do not meet the minimum qualifications of:
  • be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home"

????

rex230

Dec 9, 2019
I am in the same situation as the post creator and I'm afraid I didn't understand your response.

Let me rephrase:

I supposedly land in Toronto in the mid of July 2020 and after leaving the airport I go to my AIRBNB and call the number as stated in this link:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

What happens then?

Do they tell me
" You do not qualify for OHIP because you do not meet the minimum qualifications of:
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province

????
On the link that you posted please see this.

If you are self-isolating and cannot go to ServiceOntario to register for coverage, please contact ServiceOntario INFOline at 1-866-532-3161. INFOline staff will advise on next steps as appropriate. You will be registered for immediate OHIP coverage and provided with a transaction record to use to demonstrate your eligibility for OHIP until your health card arrives in the mail.

I believe we can get a transaction number with which we can complete any medical emergencies till we get a physical card in mail. so after your airbnb stay for 14 days, just apply for a physical card. They have clearly mentioned below which indicates there is no need to worry.

Ontario is waiving the three-month waiting period for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage. We will also cover the cost of COVID-19 services if you are uninsured and do not meet the criteria for OHIP coverage.

I will not be going for any personal insurance before flying. only travel insurance may be.

ProjectCanada

Nov 15, 2018
On the link that you posted please see this.

If you are self-isolating and cannot go to ServiceOntario to register for coverage, please contact ServiceOntario INFOline at 1-866-532-3161. INFOline staff will advise on next steps as appropriate. You will be registered for immediate OHIP coverage and provided with a transaction record to use to demonstrate your eligibility for OHIP until your health card arrives in the mail.

I believe we can get a transaction number with which we can complete any medical emergencies till we get a physical card in mail. so after your airbnb stay for 14 days, just apply for a physical card. They have clearly mentioned below which indicates there is no need to worry.

Ontario is waiving the three-month waiting period for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage. We will also cover the cost of COVID-19 services if you are uninsured and do not meet the criteria for OHIP coverage.

I will not be going for any personal insurance before flying. only travel insurance may be.
Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.

But.... so where does meeting the requirements fit in the equation:
"

rex230

Dec 9, 2019
Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.

But.... so where does meeting the requirements fit in the equation:
"
they become void. Its an old requirement that does not apply right now.

Reactions: ProjectCanada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
they become void. Its an old requirement that does not apply right now.
Disagree you still need to meet the residency requirements. Everyone will still have access to covid treatment and testing even if they don’t meet the requirements.

rex230

Dec 9, 2019
Last edited: