+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health insurance to cover OHIP gap?

Bspar

Star Member
Apr 3, 2017
Just curious what most Canadians do upon returning to Ontario when they're no longer covered by OHIP. Myself and my two Canadian citizen children will be arriving in Ontario mid-July and I know that we have to wait for 3 months for our OHIP to kick in. Should we be getting health/travel insurance from Japan or is there a company in Ontario that provides reasonable short-term health insurance? My wife who is Japanese will also need health insurance but she's applying for her PR and I realize thats another issue all together.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Just curious what most Canadians do upon returning to Ontario when they're no longer covered by OHIP. Myself and my two Canadian citizen children will be arriving in Ontario mid-July and I know that we have to wait for 3 months for our OHIP to kick in. Should we be getting health/travel insurance from Japan or is there a company in Ontario that provides reasonable short-term health insurance? My wife who is Japanese will also need health insurance but she's applying for her PR and I realize thats another issue all together.
All of you should get travel medical insurance from a Canadian company. Will make claims much easier dealing with a Canadian insurer should you need to use the insurance while in Canada.

My wife used an insurer from this broker for same purposes, and we had no problems making a claim: https://www.kanetix.ca/travel-visitors-to-canada