RapsFan905

Mar 16, 2017
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there, my wife and I have applied for Permanent Residence status for her under family class and are currently awaiting our result. She is an American and I am Canadian. I believe this question has more to do with moving to Canada from the US than family class sponsorship so I have posted it under this section.

We are planning on having her come to Canada under a tourist visa while we await our result, however we are slightly confused as to how to go about getting health coverage. Since she is not a PR, she can only get visitor coverage. However, I have noticed that all of the visitor coverages I have seen only cover emergency situations. Since we will need to provide a health check for her as part of this process, we need a health care plan that includes standard check ups as well.

Does anyone here have any experience similar to this (i.e. spouse is on tourist visa awaiting PR) and what companies/policies did you find helpful for you?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Insurance policies that cover standard doctor visits are typically very expensive or have many exclusions (obviously insurance companies are in the business of making money so they're not going to sell you something where they know in advance it's going to cost them more than it costs you). You'll be better off paying for regular doctor visits out of your own pocket.

I don't believe any insurance policy will cover the health care check up required for immigration because it's not required for medical purposes.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Since we will need to provide a health check for her as part of this process, we need a health care plan that includes standard check ups as well.
No visitor insurance plan is going to cover the immigration medical. She will need to pay for it herself.