+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health insurance options sponsored spouse currently on visitor visa (Quebec)

mazey

Dec 25, 2023
Hey guys,

I'm sponsoring my wife to become a PR in canada and she is currently on a visitor visa in Canada with me.
Can my wife benefit from my employer's health insurance as a visitor ? Otherwise what are the options for her to get health insurance ?

Thank you.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hey guys,

I'm sponsoring my wife to become a PR in canada and she is currently on a visitor visa in Canada with me.
Can my wife benefit from my employer's health insurance as a visitor ? Otherwise what are the options for her to get health insurance ?

Thank you.
Likely options are to pay out of pocket or contract with a private firm for traveller's medical insurance. That would likely come with limitations (not covering many conditions as it's basically intended for emergencies). If your spouse is basically healthy then this type of 'catastrophic' / emergency insurance is probably enough.

You can ask your employer/their insurer but many / most employer insurance plans here are provided on basis that the employees and their dependents are already covered by provincial health plans (it's a form of supplementary insurance), or exceptions to that rule are extremely limited. (You probably are expected to inform them that you're married anyway with spouse in Canada so can't hurt to ask - you just may find out that it's not much coverage or not in effect until she becomes a PR)

Reactions: scylla and canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey guys,

Thank you.
Some policies also require you to purchase before travel to Canada. In general most pay out of pocket for any healthcare expenses or in cases where there is more chronic health issues apply Outland. We are seeing more and more cases with people realizing that they can have their spouse be in Canada during sponsorship but they won’t have health coverage during that period of time in many province. Given the wait time for processing in Quebec the best option would be once your spouse gets AOR to apply for an OWP. Once your wife is employed full-time she can apply for provincial healthcare. There will still be a 3 month wait period and wait period until you get OWP and a job but probably your best option to get access to comprehensive healthcare coverage.

rlg05

Aug 14, 2023
Check Quebec's rules, as I know in Saskatchewan, my husband just needed his AOR to apply for temporary health care (for 1 year until he gets his PR). Travel insurance will cover the interim.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Check Quebec's rules, as I know in Saskatchewan, my husband just needed his AOR to apply for temporary health care (for 1 year until he gets his PR). Travel insurance will cover the interim.
It is a good point, the rules very much depend on each province.

And of course if one can get covered by the provincial plans, then the Canadian employer's insurance (supplementary really) will be quite useful.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hey guys,

Thank you.
Not sure about Quebec healthcare coverage. But typically employer's extended health is only going to cover the spouse if the spouse is covered by provincial health insurance.