+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Insurance options for implied status in BC

twranks

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
Hi all,
I'm currently on implied work status as I applied for my PR (and BOWP) and my current WP is expired. Turns out in BC I'm not eligible for the BC MSP (Medical services plan) because they don't recognize implied status.

Is there any alternative to this? I was told about private insurance companies but I can't seem to find any online. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks for helping out :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
You would need a "visitors to Canada" insurance. Basically covers anyone in Canada that isn't covered by or is waiting for coverage from provincial healthcare. This insurance would cover emergency/unexpected medical events only, not routine checkups or pre-existing conditions (with some exceptions).

This online broker compares a bunch of providers: https://www.kanetix.ca/travel-visitors-to-canada

Reactions: twranks

twranks

Star Member
Mar 24, 2017
You would need a "visitors to Canada" insurance. Basically covers anyone in Canada that isn't covered by or is waiting for coverage from provincial healthcare. This insurance would cover emergency/unexpected medical events only, not routine checkups or pre-existing conditions (with some exceptions).
Wow, that sucks. So there's no way to get private coverage for checkups/prescriptions? Even if it costs a bit more?

Thanks for helping out btw

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Wow, that sucks. So there's no way to get private coverage for checkups/prescriptions? Even if it costs a bit more?

Thanks for helping out btw
Yes, there are separate types of plans for this. They are called personal benefits or health Insurance plans, and are typically used for self-employed people or those with no work benefits. They are more for extended coverage like dental, vision, prescription drugs, etc that are not typically covered by a provincial plan. Not sure a routine doctors check up for no particular reason (like a yearly physical) would be covered.

Although typically they are quite expensive (more than cost of going for routine checkups) since the insurer wants to make money at the end of the day, so should only really consider if you expect to use these services more than average. Else it may be cheaper to work out deals with the providers (many will charge you less if they know you don't have insurance).

Just as an example, here is one from Sunlife: https://www.sunlife.ca/ca/Insurance/Health+insurance/Personal+health+insurance?vgnLocale=en_CA
and one from Manulife: https://www.manulife.ca/for-you/insurance/explore/health-insurance/health-and-dental/flexcare.html

Reactions: twranks

Lnoise

Feb 18, 2019
Apologies for gatecrashing a thread, but does anyone have any suggestions on insurance companies which cover back country skiing? I'm looking for insurance to cover my time on implied status. A lot of the suggestions for the broker websites have fine print which states no out of bounds skiing

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
Apologies for gatecrashing a thread, but does anyone have any suggestions on insurance companies which cover back country skiing? I'm looking for insurance to cover my time on implied status. A lot of the suggestions for the broker websites have fine print which states no out of bounds skiing
Among private insurers, Destination Canada covers out-of-bounds skiing. While they do have a list of excluded high-risk activities, out of bounds skiing is not excluded from the coverage. Excluded hight risk activities include heliskiing, ski-jumping, skydiving, sky-surfing, scuba diving (except if certified by internationally recognized and accepted program such as NAUI or PADI, or if diving depth does not exceed 30 meters), white water rafting (except grades 1 to 4), street luge, skeleton activity, mountaineering, participation in any rodeo activity.

You can get a personal quote and review plan details here - Destination Canada Insurance

zevel

May 1, 2017
Hi
Thank you for the information.
My husband and I are in implied status waiting for work permit extensions and PR (whichever comes first) we have been in BC for over a year. Am I correct in saying that the visitor insurance would not cover us for any visits to a walk-in clinic? Would we need to pay this out of our pocket or are there insurance plans that would cover us?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi
Thank you for the information.
My husband and I are in implied status waiting for work permit extensions and PR (whichever comes first) we have been in BC for over a year. Am I correct in saying that the visitor insurance would not cover us for any visits to a walk-in clinic? Would we need to pay this out of our pocket or are there insurance plans that would cover us?
You would need to pay out of pocket.

aditya_aman7

Jan 10, 2015
Hi all,
I'm currently on implied work status as I applied for my PR (and BOWP) and my current WP is expired. Turns out in BC I'm not eligible for the BC MSP (Medical services plan) because they don't recognize implied status.

Is there any alternative to this? I was told about private insurance companies but I can't seem to find any online. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks for helping out :)
I got mine from Aman Sohal 647.544.2443. Check with them www.coveragematters.ca