+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Insurance on IEC - Australians

rodgerdodger

Jun 2, 2012
Anyone got a recent IEC work permit?

They state you need 2 years travel/health care insurance.

I cant find a single provider that gives more than 12 months

rachiy

May 9, 2012
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
SYDNEY, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-07-2012
AOR Received.
12-09-2012
File Transfer...
12-09-2012
Med's Done....
16-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-01-2013
LANDED..........
29-01-2013
Just to clarify, are you Australian coming to Canada on a working holiday (or similar)?

If this is the case, then you will be able to get provincial health insurance when you get to Canada. It depends on which province you decide to live in, as some will cover you from the time that you arrive and become a resident e.g get a house/apartment etc.

I am from NZ and was covered from the first day that I resided in Alberta. Alberta health coverage is free to all residents (as long as you are there legally - on work permit or working holiday etc).

You should get travel insurance to cover the first couple of months, depending on what your plans are and how much traveling you will do before you settle down to a job.

When I was between work permits and no longer covered by Alberta Health I used "nomads" travel insurance. They are one of the only travel insurance companies who will cover you after you have left your home country. They are reasonable in price and you can just keep on extending your coverage as required.

Who says that you need to prove that you have two years insurance?

ZULFAQAR

Apr 1, 2012
rodgerdodger said:
Anyone got a recent IEC work permit?

They state you need 2 years travel/health care insurance.

I cant find a single provider that gives more than 12 months

Haitokin

Star Member
Aug 28, 2011
I have recently heard from some applicants that they are now able to get their IEC visa issued for two years when they arrive, as long as they can show proof of insurance for the full two years.

BestQuote Travel Insurance Agency provides free online quotes that allow you to compare coverage between all the major travel health providers in Canada. There is only one company that currently allows you to purchase the coverage for longer than 365 days. They will allow the purchase for up to two years (Although, the policy is not suitable for anyone with a diabetic pre-existing condition).

http://www.bestquotetravelinsurance.ca/International-Experience-Canada-%28IEC%29-Insurance

Simply get a quote by entering trip info in the green quote request area on the left. The two year quote only shows the one company, the one year quote will show all of them.

jaycor

Mar 3, 2013
After much searching I found Downunder Insurance who are now doing a 'International Experience Canada Travel Insurance Policy' which will cover you for the full 2 years for just over $2k (at the time of writing). Their number is 1800 148 766

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
I have a few ideas for people who are coming on Working Holiday Visa. First of all, there is a Canadian company that offers insurance coverage for up to 18 months. That company is also quite affordable with competitive benefits. Also at the same time you can apply for a second policy for an additional 6 months with effective date right after the first policy expires.

Or you can just take out 2 policies 1 year each.

Here you can take a look at 18 months policy

http://arbetovinsurance.com/travelance-visitors-insurance/

All those policies cover repatriation and hospitalization which I believe are the requirements for the IEC program.

Message me if you have any questions.

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
There is now an option to purchase coverage for the whole 2 years- without having to extend, which might be problematic if there were any claims.

<a href=https://www.srmrm.com/cgi-bin/underwrite/start.pl?xxx:BrokerID=2644&xxx:plan=VTC&xxx:UserLang=english/>IEC 2 year Insurance Coverage</a>

The 2 year option satisfies all the IEC/ Working Holiday requirements, provides comprehensive health care coverage, hospitalization and repatriation. It is offered by a Canadian Insurance company which makes it easier to claim (and expenses mostly paid for directly by the insurance company).

I'm not sure about becoming eligible for provincial coverage, but one of the IEC requirements states that you need to be covered for repatriation- which is not covered by provincial health care.

You can read more about the IEC program and requirements as well as compare prices from different companies here:

<a href=http://arbetovinsurance.com/iec-travel-insurance/>IEC Program</a>

You can also add coverage for preexisting conditions, as well as some additional features such as routine check ups, eye exams, vaccinations and up to $10,000 in maternity benefits. Links above provide more information.

yokies

Star Member
Oct 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
AOR Received.
28-08-2014 and 09-09-2014
Med's Done....
18-04-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2014
LANDED..........
27-12-2014
I was unable to find a place that would cover for 2 years too. So I purchased a 1 year travel insurance and my intention was to extend it after. I am currently on IEC. I was never asked to provide my insurance or proof of income when I got my permit (maybe I was lucky?), they gave me the 2 year permit. I entered from Vancouver. After I found work I then applied for OHIP which is ontario health coverage so I didn't have to extend my travel insurance after 1 year.

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
yokies said:
I was unable to find a place that would cover for 2 years too. So I purchased a 1 year travel insurance and my intention was to extend it after. I am currently on IEC. I was never asked to provide my insurance or proof of income when I got my permit (maybe I was lucky?), they gave me the 2 year permit.
That does sound like you got lucky. I guess it is at the discretion of the point of entry officer. I believe in case they do want to see the proof of income and coverage they give you a chance to apply for additional coverage right on the spot, but that's not confirmed.

If anyone has any stories to share that would be appreciated!

garyoswald

Jun 13, 2014
Is it actually possible to get a Provincial Health Plan holding an IEC visa? :eek:

I thought WH visitors do not qualify for it.

yokies

Star Member
Oct 24, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
AOR Received.
28-08-2014 and 09-09-2014
Med's Done....
18-04-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-12-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2014
LANDED..........
27-12-2014
I know for Ontario if you are on IEC you can apply for health coverage. 3 mth waiting period and you have to provide proof you have a full time job. I am not sure about other provinces. Link below for Ontario. http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/temp_foreign.aspx

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
garyoswald said:
Is it actually possible to get a Provincial Health Plan holding an IEC visa? :eek:

I thought WH visitors do not qualify for it.
Yes some people do qualify for provincial coverage, not everybody though. You can you do you can cancel your private coverage and go on provincial. Visa officers will still want to see coverage for the duration of desired stay when you enter Canada.

garyoswald

Jun 13, 2014
Thanx for some clarification. By the way when I become eligible for provincial health plan and cancel the private insurance, I will be able to get a reimbursement in case there were no claims,correct?

goldenbrown

Jan 11, 2011
Vancouver
Exactly. Refunds will be pro rated in case there were no claims. All you have to do is to send us an email to support@arbetovinsurance.com and we will issue the refund.

If you need to extend your coverage just fill out the online form and submit it to us.

<a href=http://arbetovinsurance.com/request-to-renew-insurance-policy/>Extend Coverage</a>

mbstewart

Jun 12, 2014
As someone has previously stated, you need to check with the province or territory that you'll be residing in. They are all different, and I'll echo what has been said about Alberta. If you are landing in Calgary, it's fair to say that you'll be staying in Alberta, and yes Alberta does cover you as long as you are legally there to work with the intention of staying 12 months or more. It's as simple as going to a registry and registering. Any incidental medical costs that you incur in between the time you land and get your coverage (like...2 days), those costs may be reimbursed to you once your approved and have been issued a provincial health care card. This is specific to Alberta, please contact the health authority in your province by email, they will surely reply and give you a straight answer.