+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Insurance + Inland PR application

iqadry

Jan 18, 2014
I am a Canadian Citizen moving back to Canada with my wife who is American. I have learned quite a lot about the Inland vs. Outland applications but have a couple of questions regarding health insurance and a work permit.

1. When would my wife be eligible for Alberta Health Care if I were to do an Inland application. If its only until after the 1st stage of the application how can I get private health insurance for her.

2. Is the only option for my wife to work (She is in Finance) by getting an "Open Work Permit" or can she find a job and get a company to sponsor a TWP for her?

Thank you kindly in advance!

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
1) your wife can get Alberta health coverage from day 1 as a spouse of Canadian/Pr. However this is good for 6 month with a one time 3 month extension. After that, wife needs to wait for AIP to get back on Alberta medical coverage.

2) OWP is the only option for wife that in available only to those who applied inland. The new rules seems to be saying that your wife cannot submit a OWP with the inland application any more.

There are other options such as applying for work permit if an employer is willing to do the LMO and offer the job.

Another work option is applying through NAFTA TN work visa. If her occupations falls under NAFTA she only require a job offer and she can get a TN visa at the Canada border.

Screech339

iqadry

Jan 18, 2014
@ screech339. Thanks for your reply and some of the other informative posts you've got.

In regards to the Alberta Health coverage, I figured that was the case for quite some time and then I came across this on the Alberta Health Care website ww.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/temporary-residents.html Granted I have read a post or two with folks who have been able to successfully apply.

"AHCIP eligibility while waiting for permanent residency status

In order to be eligible for AHCIP coverage you must have a valid Canada entry document or a letter from CIC indicating a “positive first decision” has been made regarding your application for permanent residency.

If you receive a “positive first decision” letter from CIC with respect to your permanent residency application, forward a copy of the document along with your completed application for AHCIP coverage and other required documentation to Alberta Health.

Your AHCIP coverage may be reinstated to the date of the “positive first decision” letter but not earlier.
If your Canada entry document is due to expire and you have not yet received this letter, you may be eligible for a one time only temporary extension of your AHCIP coverage. However, we recommend you apply for an extension of your prior permit during the waiting period to avoid a lapse of coverage.

Contact us before the expiration date of your Canada entry document
You may wish to purchase Visitor to Canada Insurance, which is available from private insurance companies, if you are physically present in Canada but not eligible for AHCIP coverage."

In regards to the work question I'll definitely take a look at the new rules for the OWP because I was probably reading the old rules where you could send OWP and Inland application together. Does this mean I would have to send the OWP application after the first stage from AIP?

Thanks!
iqadry

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
iqadry said:
In regards to the Alberta Health coverage, I figured that was the case for quite some time and then I came across this on the Alberta Health Care website ww.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/temporary-residents.html Granted I have read a post or two with folks who have been able to successfully apply.

In regards to the work question I'll definitely take a look at the new rules for the OWP because I was probably reading the old rules where you could send OWP and Inland application together. Does this mean I would have to send the OWP application after the first stage from AIP?
Have a look here http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/registration-requirements.html

All eligible residents of Alberta must register themselves and their dependents with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP)
Married spouses – must register together

By AHCIP's own rules, you must register with your dependent spouse. It's a nice little loophole that allows spouses with visitor status to get coverage.

As for inland vs. outland, I strongly suggest that you apply outland. There is no advantage for an American to apply inland, certainly not just to get an OWP. An outland application would most likely be finished before your wife would even get 1st stage approval and the OWP. Inland stage 1 takes about 10-11 months right now, with another 8 months for the app to be completed; a straightforward outland app through Ottawa would be done in about 8-10 months.

scosan

Star Member
Oct 27, 2013
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 24 2012
Doc's Request.
May 15 2013
File Transfer...
Nov 5, 2012
Med's Request
remeds: Oct 15, 2013
Med's Done....
sent with app (original)
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 1, 2014
LANDED..........
March 28, 2014 (Calgary)
canuck_in_uk said:
By AHCIP's own rules, you must register with your dependent spouse. It's a nice little loophole that allows spouses with visitor status to get coverage.
That's true, but I would recommend bypassing the registry offices and apply directly with AHC. We were denied coverage 3 times in different registry offices because no one there is trained properly. It wasn't until I read on this forum that others in Alberta were getting there spouses health care that I called AHC directly and a very nice lady there signed my wife up immediately. I'm still upset that I took the word of agents at the registry offices!

Scosan

beate1961

Star Member
Dec 10, 2016
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC MISSISSAUGA
App. Filed.......
Nov.24
AOR Received.
Dec. 10-17-016
Med's Request
01-11-2017
Med's Done....
17-11-2017
We are in the same position right now and I am a bit confused regarding the changed rules and the aforementioned loophole. My husband is American, has applied for PR status last November and just received his visitor's extension. I wanted to apply for Alberta health Care for him but stumbled upon the new rules on their website, which states that you require a first positive decision first. What do I do? Help?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
beate1961 said:
We are in the same position right now and I am a bit confused regarding the changed rules and the aforementioned loophole. My husband is American, has applied for PR status last November and just received his visitor's extension. I wanted to apply for Alberta health Care for him but stumbled upon the new rules on their website, which states that you require a first positive decision first. What do I do? Help?
Nothing has changed in regards to this situation. You are required to register your husband on your AHCIP account.

beate1961

Star Member
Dec 10, 2016
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC MISSISSAUGA
App. Filed.......
Nov.24
AOR Received.
Dec. 10-17-016
Med's Request
01-11-2017
Med's Done....
17-11-2017
Thank you! i had no idea! So in other words I don't need a first positive response for his PR status?! Well, that's awesome!

John Ey

Oct 22, 2017
bumping this...

We are in a similar situation yet cannot register for AHC without an entry document. Did you have any luck applying to AHC directly? I called immigration and they told me I needed to apply for a visitor record which is done on the same form (apparently) as requesting extension/change conditions IMM4708e. However this entire form is made to be filled out to extend or restore visitor status, with $100 fee. We just want the stupid proof of visitor status because the immigration office was too lazy to stamp the passport.

John Ey

Oct 22, 2017
Have a look here http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/registration-requirements.html

All eligible residents of Alberta must register themselves and their dependents with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP)
Married spouses – must register together

that is not correct, even with a marriage certificate there is no loophole and a status/entry document must be submitted to AHC...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
that is not correct, even with a marriage certificate there is no loophole and a status/entry document must be submitted to AHC...
Yes, it is certainly correct. I never said a person didn't need a status document. I clearly said a visitor can get coverage, which they can with a Visitor Record.