+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health insurance in Alberta

hamzay

Feb 22, 2009
Hi there,
How does health insurance in Alberta work?
Are we covered from day one of landing? but i heard it takes about 2 weeks to get your health card --- do i have to take private insurance for that month just in case or will i be reimbursed or something for the waiting period?
Also how does the Alberta Health insurance work? Do we have to first pay upfront at the hospital or clinic and then we willl be able to claim ( long procedure) or will we get instant free health care upon arrival at a clinic or a hospital once we have the card?
Does the alberta health card include everything or do i have to take up any extra insurances for any specific conditions? Are medicines covered in the health card?

Thanks for answering my q's in advance :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are covered from day one and during the time you haven't gotten your health card yet, if you have a problem and have to pay, you will be reimbursed.

Once you have the health card, you show it at the doctors or at the hospital and you don't pay.

There are certain things you must pay for such as having the doctor write a letter or fill out a form for example for an employer or sickness benefits, for using an ambulance or for elective procedures like plastic surgery. Also if you are in hospital, you may have to pay if you want to have a TV or if you want a private room.

Medications and dental is not covered under health care. You can take out a supplementary insurance for those costs but there is a waiting time until they start to cover you and if you are planning to be working soon, you might as well wait and see if your employer has an insurance plan. Many employers do and they may pay for it partly or even entirely.

AvayaLenovo

Star Member
Jul 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13Oct2009
Doc's Request.
10Dec2009
AOR Received.
09Apr2010
Med's Request
25Aug2010
Med's Done....
2Sep2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
7Oct2010
VISA ISSUED...
21Oct2010
LANDED..........
30Jun2011
hamzay said:
Are we covered from day one of landing? but i heard it takes about 2 weeks to get your health card --- do i have to take private insurance for that month just in case or will i be reimbursed or something for the waiting period?
FYI, they give you a temporary health card for the time that you haven't received your actual health card -- that temporary card is as good as the actual card as it bears your card #.