+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Insurance during waiting period

uzmajeed

Jan 23, 2022
Need recommendations for Private Health Insurance in British Columbia for the 3 months waiting period.Thanks

uzmajeed

Jan 23, 2022
Plus I would be 6 months pregnant when In shaa Allah land hence need antenatal coverage for the three months before delivery too.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks...Could you name a few large insurance companies to look for?
Manulife and blue cross are 2 companies but a simple google search will provide the options. You won’t be able to purchase insurance to cover the 3rd trimester because it is a guaranteed expense. I am less familiar with BC provincial insurance that Ontario but I would call to see if a pregnant woman would qualify for coverage. What is your status in Canada? Is sponsorship involved? How long has your partner been in Canada?

uzmajeed

Jan 23, 2022
During our soft landing in 2020 I got my Alberta Health Card. I am currently am out of Canada and would be moving to British Columbia and would be six months pregnant then and would deliver there.The last 3 months of pregnancy would be spent in the mandatory 3 months waiting period in B.C...Hence need medical Insurance for the 3 months waiting period only.

uzmajeed

Jan 23, 2022
My husband is in BC since beginning of January and has applied for his medical insurance and is currently under waiting period.BC requires candidates to be physically present to apply hence I can't do anything at the moment except to look for private insurance with maternity benefits.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
During our soft landing in 2020 I got my Alberta Health Card. I am currently am out of Canada and would be moving to British Columbia and would be six months pregnant then and would deliver there.The last 3 months of pregnancy would be spent in the mandatory 3 months waiting period in B.C...Hence need medical Insurance for the 3 months waiting period only.
You weren’t entitled to get yoyur Alberta health card because you were required to remain in Alberta for 12 months after landing to qualify for coverage. You must reapply for a health card when you return to Canada whether in BC or any other province. You should disregard your Alberta health card . You don’t qualify for transferring your health coverage from Alberta to BC. There are specific residency obligations that you must meet to qualify for health coverage even if you have a valid card. If you don’t meet the residency requirements to qualify for health coverage in your province you can be asked to pay back any healthcare you have used. This is to prevent people from coming to Canada and using healthcare and then leaving. Most require you stay 6-12 months so that yoùr family are taxpayers and paying into the healthcare system. Assume you plan on settling in BC for the foreseeable future. No health insurance will provide coverage for the 3 month wait period while in your 3rd trimester if you are already pregnant when applying for health insurance because there are guaranteed health expenses.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My husband is in BC since beginning of January and has applied for his medical insurance and is currently under waiting period.BC requires candidates to be physically present to apply hence I can't do anything at the moment except to look for private insurance with maternity benefits.
Unfortunately you won’t be able to find private insurance that will cover youin your 3rd trimester of pregnancy.