+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

health coverage for foreign worker's spouse in Saskatchewan

bob1987

Apr 8, 2016
Hi,all, I will be a foreign worker in SK, with work permit. My spouse is with visitor visa (I applied for her as a family member and got the same length of stay, more than one year, multiple). She will stay here togeter with me. SO my question is if she can get provincial health coverage in SK.

Below is how SK gov describe:
If you are not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident/landed immigrant but are in Saskatchewan under either a Study Permit, a Work Permit or a Minister's Permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada, you may be eligible for all health benefits.
Your spouse or partner and all dependents under the age of 18 who live with you in Saskatchewan can be covered. You must apply for a Health Services Card for each person and they must also meet the eligibility requirements. If they are in Canada as visitors or tourists, they may not be eligible for coverage.

I contacted SK health department, they say spouse also need permit, but have not defined what type of permit. I guess work permit. And they also say this "permit" usually include spouse.

if wife works, it is not neccessary for husband to apply health coverage for her. She can apply on her own. if she doesn't work, husband cannot apply for her because she is not eligible. so it is meaningless to cover a foreign worker's spouse.

what if the kid (dependent) neither study, nor work.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Maybe you can challenge this but why bother. It is easier to apply for an OWP for her. She doesn't have to work, just have the permit. Kids tend to be covered under family. If your kids are school age and your intention is to enroll them in school in Canada, you should actually apply for a study permit for minor although plenty of people don't do that and just apply for a TRV for them.

Make sure you get some kind of travel insurance for her right now though in case of an emergency. It could get expensive otherwise.

milo2015

Star Member
Dec 24, 2014
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
bob1987 said:
Hi,all, I will be a foreign worker in SK, with work permit. My spouse is with visitor visa (I applied for her as a family member and got the same length of stay, more than one year, multiple). She will stay here togeter with me. SO my question is if she can get provincial health coverage in SK.

Below is how SK gov describe:
If you are not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident/landed immigrant but are in Saskatchewan under either a Study Permit, a Work Permit or a Minister's Permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada, you may be eligible for all health benefits.
Your spouse or partner and all dependents under the age of 18 who live with you in Saskatchewan can be covered. You must apply for a Health Services Card for each person and they must also meet the eligibility requirements. If they are in Canada as visitors or tourists, they may not be eligible for coverage.

I contacted SK health department, they say spouse also need permit, but have not defined what type of permit. I guess work permit. And they also say this "permit" usually include spouse.

if wife works, it is not neccessary for husband to apply health coverage for her. She can apply on her own. if she doesn't work, husband cannot apply for her because she is not eligible. so it is meaningless to cover a foreign worker's spouse.

what if the kid (dependent) neither study, nor work.
Why your wife is not on OWP? if you are from NOC 0,A or B you could apply for her work permit. I did the same for my wife and its easier for us to renew all documents together.