+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Check Questions-hyperthyroidism

daniel.x.qiao

Aug 3, 2015
Hi Guys,

I just got ME yesterday. When I filled up the ME form, I have put the meds that I take for hyperthyroidism which I have been having this ill for months. The doc said she will submit hyperthyroidism to CIC for review and decision. It really worries me, so do you know hyperthyroidism will affect my application?

Thanks,
Daniel

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
How expensive is your medication?

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Then the answer is no, it won't. They look for things that are contagious, or over a certain number (something like $4,500) per year in costs. $5 a month is nothing.

veeango

Aug 11, 2015
kateg said:
Then the answer is no, it won't. They look for things that are contagious, or over a certain number (something like $4,500) per year in costs. $5 a month is nothing.
Hi,
Please how about a spouse who is hiv positive and has been on treatment for the past 3 years?

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
veeango said:
Hi,
Please how about a spouse who is hiv positive and has been on treatment for the past 3 years?
That one's a bit harder. It means mandatory liver screening:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/partner/pp/pdf/IMEI_hepatitis.pdf

You're significantly more likely to get denied under "excessive demand" (see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/admiss/excessive.asp)

However, in Companioni v. Canada (M.C.I.) 2009 FC 1315, and later cases, the Federal Court allowed some flexibility in assessing one’s ability to defray the costs of out-patient medication, such as HIV anti retroviral therapy. As such, medical officers have to make an individualized assessment of the medical file, the required out-patient medication, the availability of private insurance and/or the ability to opt-out of publicly-funded drug plans in the province or territory where the applicant intends to reside.
You may need to put together a plan showing that you can defer medication costs through insurance and/or opting out of drug plans.

As an example, I'm in BC. BC has a program called "Fair Pharmacare". It's income based.

Suppose I need $8,000 a year worth of medications. This would exceed the cost threshold. However, if I make enough money that pharmacare won't cover anything, then the demand is no longer there. This would mean I no longer had excessive demand.

My company offers (though I do not take) insurance. This insurance would also cover the medication. I could put a plan together that would involve me switching the cost to my company insurance.

Alternatively, as a US citizen, I could make arrangements to buy the medication there (with a prescription). This would mean that there was no longer a demand on health services.

Any of these could serve to overcome the excessive demand requirements.

riddymon

Jun 26, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hyperthyroidism is fine...don't worry about that as long as there are no severe complications that require expensive meds.