+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health care Manitoba: valid immediately ?

digits

Star Member
Jan 21, 2013
Hi all,

I am preparing my landing in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

I read in numerous threads that you would need to prove upon landing that you have a health care insurance for the first few months, since not every province covers you right away. From my understanding, in Manitoba, one is immediately covered and such extra insurance would be pointless.

Is there anyone who can confirm or deny this ? I can't find any official source for this.

Thank you,
Digits

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
digits said:
Hi all,

I read in numerous threads that you would need to prove upon landing that you have a health care insurance for the first few months, since not every province covers you right away. From my understanding, in Manitoba, one is immediately covered and such extra insurance would be pointless.

Is there anyone who can confirm or deny this ? I can't find any official source for this.

Thank you,
Digits
Hi

http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/mhsip/index.html#Q3

digits

Star Member
Jan 21, 2013
canuck_in_uk said:
Hi

http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/mhsip/index.html#Q3
Hi Canuck,

I assume you are referring to this quote:
Permanent Resident

You are eligible for coverage on your date of arrival in Manitoba when proof of Permanent Resident Status is provided or on the date Permanent Resident Status is granted.
I found that one as well, but I am not entirely sure that means you are covered from the moment you get your SIN number or if there is a waiting period. It doesn't say there is a waiting period, but it doesn't say there isn't either. Or am I too paranoid here ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Manitoba has no waiting period for a new PR. You see on this link that in the "New to Canada" section, there is no mention of a waiting period while in the section "New to Manitoba" which is for people moving from another province, they state that there is a waiting period but that those moving from another province will be covered by their old province health plan.

In any case, nobody will ask you if you have insurance when you land. It is not mandatory to have insurance even if you go to a province with a waiting period. However, it would be smart in case the person has an emergency. However, you don't have to worry because you will be covered.

If you are still worried, you can call them and ask. The number is on the website as well.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
digits said:
Hi Canuck,

I assume you are referring to this quote:
I found that one as well, but I am not entirely sure that means you are covered from the moment you get your SIN number or if there is a waiting period. It doesn't say there is a waiting period, but it doesn't say there isn't either. Or am I too paranoid here ?
Why would you think it has anything to do with your SIN number?

It states You are eligible for coverage on your date of arrival in Manitoba when proof of Permanent Resident Status is provided

So on the day you land as a PR, you can go straight from the airport to the health office with your COPR and get immediate coverage.

bongcan

Dec 29, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2010
Doc's Request.
04-11-2010
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
Med's Request
14-12-2012
Med's Done....
22-01-2013
Passport Req..
08-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-05-2013
LANDED..........
24-07-2013
digits said:
Hi all,

Thank you,
Digits
It is true. I can vouch for that as I am a recipient myself. I landed back in Niagara in July (from States) and moved back to Winnipeg in Nov to start my new job and got Health Insurance from Day One.