fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
I thought of adding some info to all this since i went through all of above just last month.

I landed on Jan 17 on a work permit, in Montreal.

The only important document issued to you at the airport is the work permit, if you are a temp foreign worker. Of course you will need your passport, job offer, Letter of introduction (if your work permit was approved by an embassy earlier), LMO and CAQ (only for Quebec).

There is no option to open bank account at the air port nor there is a service canada office at any airport that i heard of. However, may be a few good banks even operate on sat (some branches on sunday too) such as TDtrust Canada.

I landed on friday and it was late (past 4) to get to service Canada. So i went to a bank on saturday and opened up a checking account with them, deposited some cash that i had with them, got a letter stating my address (i was asked at the airport and at bank to give address and phone number). Just verbally telling is enough - they trust you :)

So it is a good idea to get a phone number first. I actually got one AFTER opening a bank account, so i signed in electronically to bank's website / phone app and added phone number latter.

It is worth mentioning that i got the debit card issued right there and then. Credit card would take some time.

On Monday i went to service canada. They just needed my passport and work permit with visa, asked for some details to be entered, and issued me a document stating the terms of SIN along with sin number. The actual card would be mailed to me in a few days. I received it in like 10 days.

Next i went a couple days latter to RAMAQ - the health care organization. In Quebec, you register as soon as possible, but receiving health card has 3 month waiting period. I applied for health card (had to pay 10-12 CAD fee for picture) using my SIN number, passport and work permit while giving the address i am living and phone number. I used the same letter received from service canada for SIN card which stated my address as well and RAMAQ registration was done. Card would be mailed to me in 3 months - from the date of my landing and i cannot apply for family unless they are actually there. Though the kids might not need to come and only the mother can apply on their behalf.

RAMAQ also issued me a letter confirming my health registration status and stating things like pregnency, sexual voilence etc. would even be covered in this 3 month waiting period using this letter.

Please note that you should be clear about your personal details i.e. name, father and mother name, maiden name etc. from the first entry on Service canada form i.e. they should all be consistent in all details across Canada whether service Canada, ramaq, saaq (driver licensing authority) etc.

Service Canada offices are distributed every where - a simple google maps query would get you the one closest to your location. RAMAQ might be fewer - in my case there is only one that i know of in Montreal where i had to go.