+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Card

nazim120

Dec 3, 2017
hi all,
i sponsored my wife and she got her permanent residency today on September 16, 2019. but she was already living in toronto since March 2019, as she was already in the country as a visitor because she have US green card. i want to know is there a way she can get her health card before 3 months because she is pregnant.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Assume she is applying for OHIP. No at this point she has to wait 3 months. You will have to pay the costs associated with the pregnancy. Did you purchase private health insurance for her when she arrived in Canada? If so, that will likely cover at least early pregnancy because she wasn’t pregnant at the time of purchase.

People really should plan to get pregnant after they have health insurance or otherwise be prepared to pay the costs associated with a pregnancy. Unfortunately many pregnancies end up in miscarriage or other complications which can end up being extremely expensive even early in pregnancy. It could literally end up being a hundred thousand dollars. You could have an ectopic pregnancy and need surgery to have a Fallopian tube removed. This isn’t that unusual. Miscarriage could require multiple procedures including day surgery. On the extreme level I have known women need to be hospitalized and be on TPN or constant IV fluids for hyperemesis.