waived
Passport Req..
06-11-2012 sent 14-11-2012, received 16-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2012 received 13-12-2012
LANDED..........
09-May-2013
QUESTION:

MY WIFE IS PREGNANT AND WE ARE CURRENTLY OUTSIDE CANADA. OUR INITIAL LANDING WAS IN TORONTO AND WE NEVER APPLIED HEALTH CARD THERE. QUESTION IF WE WANTED TO LAND IN MANITOBA AND MY WIFE WANTED TO DELIVER THERE AND WE WANTED TO APPLY HEALTH CARD, ARE WE GOING TO FACE ANY ISSUE IN APPLYING HEALTH CARD IN MANITOBA? BECUASE I HEARD THAT IN MANITOBA YOU CAN HAVE THE HEALTH CARD ON THE SAME DAY... WE DONT WANT TO WASTE TIME AND MONEY TO COME IN CANADA EARLY JUST TO GET THE HEALTH CARD.. HOPE SOMEONE CAN ANSWER.. THNX :)

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Nope, not going to work.

There is a 3 month wait period since you have already moved in Canada and joining Manitoba. Also there is a clause that says :intend on living in Manitoba for at least 183 days of the year else they will send you the bill.

I'm new to Manitoba. How do I apply for coverage?
If you are eligible (i.e., legally entitled to be in Canada and intend on living in Manitoba for at least 183 days of the year), coverage will begin on the first day of the third month after your arrival in Manitoba. For example, if you arrive on April 29, April will count as the first month, with May and June as the following two. Therefore, in this case your coverage would begin July 1.
When you register, you will need to:

Complete a Manitoba Health Registration Form
Provide your previous province’s/territory’s health card number
Provide proof of Canadian citizenship ((i.e. Copy of Canadian Birth Certificate or Canadian Citizenship Card or Permanent Resident Confirmation Card (copy of both sides))
Until your health coverage begins you should maintain your coverage with your previous health plan.

Please report changes such as a new address, birth, adoption, death, marriage, divorce, or legal separation to the Insured Benefits Branch. Documentation is required for some changes.

A. Khan

Star Member
Mar 6, 2013
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just land in Canada & in the next day visit the Medical office. They will take scan all your documents & take your photograph for the medical card to arrive 3 months after landing.

They will give you a paper stating: ......... has applied for medical & will receive after completion of 90 days. But, ........... is entitled to the following facilities even if they do not have the medical card. The facilities are: (1) Pregnancy delivery, (2) Domestic violence, (3) infectious disease.

So, your wife falls under "Pregnancy delivery".

Just land in Canada as soon as possible & visit the Medical office to get that paper.

banrad

Star Member
May 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
denDbest,

If I were you and wanted to make sure I'm covered the same date, straight after applying, I'd call the official Manitoba Healthcare authority to inquire about my specific case. http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/mhsip/index.html
Beware that Manitoba also requires you to reside in the province as referred by dbss. Physical presence is expected just like in Ontario, as I advised you before.

Same-time coverage in Manitoba applies to newly landed immigrants. Afterwards, you're seen as changing provinces and so subject to the wait time as stated by dbss, pursuant to Manitoba's laws.
You officially landed in May 2013 and became a resident in Ontario so you are not a newly landed immigrant. However, you have never been covered under OHIP. As your case is a bit more complex, I have a gut feeling that your coverage might not kick in right away. Although pregnancy seems an exception as Khan explained. That's why I think it'd be smarter of you if you called and solicited the information from the officials in charge.

M Sid

Apr 18, 2022
Hi! Hope things went well.

We're coming to Toronto for two weeks this April. Yesterday, we found out that she's pregnant by His grace. How can we manage the earliest health coverage now?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

We're coming to Toronto for two weeks this April. Yesterday, we found out that she's pregnant by His grace. How can we manage the earliest health coverage now?
Buy travel insurance before she arrives in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

In Canada you don’t even see a doctor for pregnancy until the end of your first trimester unless something has gone wrong.