+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health card, DL and car plates

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Hello all,

I am a SK nominated PR. There is a chance for me to get a job in Toronto. I am moving to SK soon. I am thinking if I am offered the job in Toronto, I will be in Toronto for 2 weeks and visit SK every other weekend. If I do this..

- Which province's health card would I be covered by? In this page : https://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/health/prescription-drug-plans-and-health-coverage/health-benefits-coverage/out-of-province-and-out-of-canada-coverage#out-of-province-services-in-canada - looks like SK's health card would cover me in ON too. But it is mentioned that physician and hospital would be covered, but for other services I would have to call and check. Is my understanding correct?

- Would I be able to drive in Ontario with SK's DL and car plates without any issue? In this page : https://www.sgi.sk.ca/out-of-province-travel - it is mentioned that if I am renting an accommodation in SK and if I hold SK's DL and file taxes as a SK resident, I should be able to drive the car with SK plates without any restriction. Is my understanding correct? But I am not able to make sure if I would be able to drive in ON with SK's DL without any issues. Does anyone know if this would be possible?

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello all,

I am a SK nominated PR. There is a chance for me to get a job in Toronto. I am moving to SK soon. I am thinking if I am offered the job in Toronto, I will be in Toronto for 2 weeks and visit SK every other weekend. If I do this..

- Which province's health card would I be covered by? In this page : https://www.saskatchewan.ca/residents/health/prescription-drug-plans-and-health-coverage/health-benefits-coverage/out-of-province-and-out-of-canada-coverage#out-of-province-services-in-canada - looks like SK's health card would cover me in ON too. But it is mentioned that physician and hospital would be covered, but for other services I would have to call and check. Is my understanding correct?

- Would I be able to drive in Ontario with SK's DL and car plates without any issue? In this page : https://www.sgi.sk.ca/out-of-province-travel - it is mentioned that if I am renting an accommodation in SK and if I hold SK's DL and file taxes as a SK resident, I should be able to drive the car with SK plates without any restriction. Is my understanding correct? But I am not able to make sure if I would be able to drive in ON with SK's DL without any issues. Does anyone know if this would be possible?

Thanks.
1. A joke right?
2. It is almost 3K kilometers from Toronto to Saskatoon, you aren't going to commute on weekends
3. You would be normally resident in Ontario, so you would need OHIP and Ontario DL/Plates.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But in my neighborhood, I've seen people driving SK, AB and Ontario plates car in BC for more than 6 months. So why couldn't OP drive his SK car?

I even drove my BC plated car to Ontario once.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Hi

1. A joke right?
2. It is almost 3K kilometers from Toronto to Saskatoon, you aren't going to commute on weekends
3. You would be normally resident in Ontario, so you would need OHIP and Ontario DL/Plates.
Not a joke.
I never said I was going to drive between ON and SK every weekend.
Ok, thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

But in my neighborhood, I've seen people driving SK, AB and Ontario plates car in BC for more than 6 months. So why couldn't OP drive his SK car?

I even drove my BC plated car to Ontario once.
1. Look the OP is not going to be resident in Saskatchewan, but in Ontario. S/he is just trying to "game" system, pretending to reside in Sask. because of the PNP nomination, but actually residing in Ontario.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

1. Look the OP is not going to be resident in Saskatchewan, but in Ontario. S/he is just trying to "game" system, pretending to reside in Sask. because of the PNP nomination, but actually residing in Ontario.
Hello, but still many people drive their out-of-province plated cars across Canada.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Hello, but still many people drive their out-of-province plated cars across Canada.
I think driving the car once in a while or even few days or even weeks here and there in a different province should be fine. But if it is done for an extended period of time, there might be concerns. That's what I am trying to figure out.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think driving the car once in a while or even few days or even weeks here and there in a different province should be fine. But if it is done for an extended period of time, there might be concerns. That's what I am trying to figure out.
I've seen people drive for months in the same AB/SK/ON plated cars.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok thanks.
Incorrect. You should have plates and insurance in the province you live in primarily. Flights are expensive in Canada so you are unlikely going to commute every other weekend unless your employer pays for it. $1000 or more a month would end up being a lot. You won’t qualify for insurance in SK so there is no point applying. You can applying for OHIP but can only be out of Ontario 1 month out of the first 6 months. Would look up the residency requirements for each provincial healthcare program.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Incorrect. You should have plates and insurance in the province you live in primarily. Flights are expensive in Canada so you are unlikely going to commute every other weekend unless your employer pays for it. $1000 or more a month would end up being a lot. You won’t qualify for insurance in SK so there is no point applying. You can applying for OHIP but can only be out of Ontario 1 month out of the first 6 months. Would look up the residency requirements for each provincial healthcare program.
Yeah, don't think this plan would be feasible. Thanks all for your responses!