+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health benefit in Nova scotia

Jonudcastro

Feb 2, 2018
Lol got your point, I did actually, even before I enquired. What I wanted to know was how long does it take before health Care in NS kicks in? Didn't quite get this information while doing a Google search.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Google search:

https://novascotia.ca/DHW/msi/moving_travel.asp#2

If you are a returning Canadian Citizen or a returning "Permanent Resident" moving permanently to Nova Scotia from outside Canada, MSI will provide first day coverage.

People moving to Nova Scotia from outside the country, who hold a Work Permit that is valid for a minimum of 12 months are eligible to apply for MSI upon their arrival in Nova Scotia, provided they have signed a declaration. The worker cannot be absent from Nova Scotia for more than 31 days, except in the course of employment. Coverage will begin on the date of arrival in Nova Scotia or the date the Work Permit was issued, whichever is the later date. For continuous coverage, a copy of the renewed Work Permit must be submitted and a new declaration form must be signed each year.

People coming to Nova Scotia from outside the country who hold a Study Permit that is valid for a minimum of 12 months can apply for coverage the first day of the thirteenth month following the date of arrival in Nova Scotia as a student (providing they have not been outside the province for more than 31 consecutive days except in the course of their studies); a student arriving in Nova Scotia in July cannot apply until August of the following year. For continuous coverage, a copy of each Study Permit must be submitted to MSI and a declaration must be signed each year. Persons on a Study Permit are eligible for insured services in Nova Scotia only. Services rendered while outside the province would be the responsibility of the individual.

Dependent Children under the age of 19 are granted coverage on the same basis as their parents once the applicant has gained entitlement.

Effective July 1, 2006 persons on work permits will be covered for short term absences from Nova Scotia.

Jonudcastro

Feb 2, 2018
Google search:

https://novascotia.ca/DHW/msi/moving_travel.asp#2

If you are a returning Canadian Citizen or a returning "Permanent Resident" moving permanently to Nova Scotia from outside Canada, MSI will provide first day coverage.

People moving to Nova Scotia from outside the country, who hold a Work Permit that is valid for a minimum of 12 months are eligible to apply for MSI upon their arrival in Nova Scotia, provided they have signed a declaration. The worker cannot be absent from Nova Scotia for more than 31 days, except in the course of employment. Coverage will begin on the date of arrival in Nova Scotia or the date the Work Permit was issued, whichever is the later date. For continuous coverage, a copy of the renewed Work Permit must be submitted and a new declaration form must be signed each year.

People coming to Nova Scotia from outside the country who hold a Study Permit that is valid for a minimum of 12 months can apply for coverage the first day of the thirteenth month following the date of arrival in Nova Scotia as a student (providing they have not been outside the province for more than 31 consecutive days except in the course of their studies); a student arriving in Nova Scotia in July cannot apply until August of the following year. For continuous coverage, a copy of each Study Permit must be submitted to MSI and a declaration must be signed each year. Persons on a Study Permit are eligible for insured services in Nova Scotia only. Services rendered while outside the province would be the responsibility of the individual.

Dependent Children under the age of 19 are granted coverage on the same basis as their parents once the applicant has gained entitlement.

Effective July 1, 2006 persons on work permits will be covered for short term absences from Nova Scotia.
Thank you so much. Yes I did read this but in my case am not a"returning" PR resident. Hence my confusion. It would be my first time moving there with my family. So will it be the same for new PR residents. Need some clarity on that.