+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

health assessment if history of cancer

Lily2020

Jan 29, 2020
I am a qualified GP and had a query regarding the Canadian health checks. My query is that if I wish to work in Canada, would my recently (one year ago) treated papillary thyroid carcinoma be a problem? To treat this, my thyroid has been removed and I have undergone thyrogen injections for thyroid stimulation and they indicate low risk of recurrence. The reason why I ask is that the exams to work abroad are time consuming and expensive - I do not wish to commence this arduous task if I will be denied entry based on my medical. I am otherwise fit and well.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Aside from your cancer and treatment, you know that most foreign trained GPs cannot practice in Canada.
If you are ready to redo the training and residency again, then it may be worth to find out more about how your health condition will impact the PR application.
Many do not practice after they moved to Canada.

Lily2020

Jan 29, 2020
That is something, I am happy to do, as most of my family live there. How much would this condition impact on my application? Currently, I require levothyroxine and nothing else.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That is something, I am happy to do, as most of my family live there. How much would this condition impact on my application? Currently, I require levothyroxine and nothing else.
Thyroid cancer won’t likely be a big deal. Getting a spot to retrain as a GP is your big hurdle. Only a fraction of those applying get the opportunity to retrain in Canada. The chances are better than many specialties where there may be almost zero chance but unless you come from a few countries (US, UK, Ireland, South Africa and few more) you have to move to Canada knowing there is a chance you may never practice medicine again. The 2 licensing exams for doctors will be much more expensive with no guarantee that you will get a spot to retrain.

Bikram0088

Star Member
Nov 8, 2018
Hi all,
We have submitted our PR application 40 days back, but yet to get the MEP (Medical Examination Passed) confirmation.
We are a family of three - me, my wife and a 3.5 yr old son. My son was diagnosed with 'retinoblastoma' (eye cancer) 2 years back and was treated with chemotherapy and other procedures. Presently he is fine since the last few months, and doesn't need any medication. He only goes for a 6-monthly check-up. We had submitted his medical reports and related docs as per the panel physician's advise.
Can someone please tell us how will this case be treated. We were nominated by Ontario PNP and are FSW outland applicants. Still waiting for our medical pass confirmation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,
We have submitted our PR application 40 days back, but yet to get the MEP (Medical Examination Passed) confirmation.
We are a family of three - me, my wife and a 3.5 yr old son. My son was diagnosed with 'retinoblastoma' (eye cancer) 2 years back and was treated with chemotherapy and other procedures. Presently he is fine since the last few months, and doesn't need any medication. He only goes for a 6-monthly check-up. We had submitted his medical reports and related docs as per the panel physician's advise.
Can someone please tell us how will this case be treated. We were nominated by Ontario PNP and are FSW outland applicants. Still waiting for our medical pass confirmation.
Can’t comment on whether you will be approved since I am not a physician and know very little about his health history but I would get prepared to give more information from his oncologist regarding your child’s past treatment prognosis and record of clean scans.

Bikram0088

Star Member
Nov 8, 2018
Can’t comment on whether you will be approved since I am not a physician and know very little about his health history but I would get prepared to give more information from his oncologist regarding your child’s past treatment prognosis and record of clean scans.
Thank you canuck