+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Heading north with Baby

headingnorth

Star Member
Jun 4, 2018
My wife and I live in the US and applied for a canadian PR and recieved in early 2019, but have recently welcomed a baby and trying to strategize our move. I am in a bind and trying to figure out things. Can anyone share your experience and your process, have you been able to succesfully move ?

It seems like there is some method to it, but i just wanted to see if there is a way to apply from the US or if we can go for a short time to apply and get back.....Any words of advice will be much appreciated.

Regards,

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
My wife and I live in the US and applied for a canadian PR and recieved in early 2019, but have recently welcomed a baby and trying to strategize our move. I am in a bind and trying to figure out things. Can anyone share your experience and your process, have you been able to succesfully move ?

It seems like there is some method to it, but i just wanted to see if there is a way to apply from the US or if we can go for a short time to apply and get back.....Any words of advice will be much appreciated.

Regards,
Do you mean you've applied and received Canadian PR with your spouse and thereafter have a new baby?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Regards,
You need to provide more information.

Have you already landed and become a PR? Or do you still have to land? If you have yet to land, you must add your baby to your application before landing.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Regards,
If, on the other hand, you had the child after landing, you have 2 options.

1) all go to Canada, with the child as a "visitor", and sponsor the child for PR when you get there.
2) one of you move to Canada and sponsor the child for PR.

Either way, it is a requirement that the sponsor remains residing in Canada during the whole of the application process, not just for the application submission.

headingnorth

Star Member
Jun 4, 2018
You need to provide more information.

Have you already landed and become a PR? Or do you still have to land? If you have yet to land, you must add your baby to your application before landing.

Yea, we landed and received our PR. But are back to the US.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yea, we landed and received our PR. But are back to the US.
You need to move to Canada if you wish to sponsor your baby for Canadian PR.

Since you are PRs, at least one of you must be living in Canada at the time you apply to sponsor your child for PR and you must continue living in Canada while the application is processed (6-8 months). A short trip won't work for sponsorship.

Once you are ready to move to Canada, you would move and bring your child in as a visitor (I'm assuming your child is a US citizen) - then sponsor your child for PR once you are all in Canada. When you do this, you need to make sure you meet the residency requirements for PR and haven't been outside of Canada for more than three years since becoming a PR.

headingnorth

Star Member
Jun 4, 2018
You need to move to Canada if you wish to sponsor your baby for Canadian PR.

Since you are PRs, at least one of you must be living in Canada at the time you apply to sponsor your child for PR and you must continue living in Canada while the application is processed (6-8 months). A short trip won't work for sponsorship.

Once you are ready to move to Canada, you would move and bring your child in as a visitor (I'm assuming your child is a US citizen) - then sponsor your child for PR once you are all in Canada. When you do this, you need to make sure you meet the residency requirements for PR and haven't been outside of Canada for more than three years since becoming a PR.
Thank you, if we bring the baby as a visitor how would insurance work, which is very important for a baby. Probably would have to buy or employer sponsored....? Any advice on that front. Thanks again for all your prompt and reliable replies.

Sakurasahra

Dec 6, 2018
If your spouse is already a Canadian Citizen she can transfer her citizenship to her child , you wont need to “sponsor” the child. Once she/he transfers citizenship since its her/his child they can get a passport.

my sister who is married to a non Canadian gave her citizenship to her child abroad.
If your spouse is a PR that might be different case

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you, if we bring the baby as a visitor how would insurance work, which is very important for a baby. Probably would have to buy or employer sponsored....? Any advice on that front. Thanks again for all your prompt and reliable replies.
You will need to purchase private insurance. Employer insurance will not cover your baby. Private insurance will cover emergencies. You will have to pay for non emergency care out of pocket.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If your spouse is already a Canadian Citizen she can transfer her citizenship to her child , you wont need to “sponsor” the child. Once she/he transfers citizenship since its her/his child they can get a passport.

my sister who is married to a non Canadian gave her citizenship to her child abroad.
If your spouse is a PR that might be different case
Based on the first post - OP and spouse are both PRs.