+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Having two wives and implication on Express Entry

mowaiskhalid

Star Member
Sep 23, 2017
Asking for a friend

One of my friends in Saudi Arabia has two wives and would like to know is that allowed in Canada to have two legal wives and apply for permanent residence through express entry?

If it is not allowed to have two wives, will he need to leave one officially or he can let one stay and apply with one wife for Express Entry and one wife as not accompanying? He doesn't want to misrepresent himself and state that he has only one wife.

Thanks

tobs

VIP Member
May 25, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-07-2018
AOR Received.
10-07-2018
Passport Req..
04-01-2019
Asking for a friend

One of my friends in Saudi Arabia has two wives and would like to know is that allowed in Canada to have two legal wives and apply for permanent residence through express entry?

If it is not allowed to have two wives, will he need to leave one officially or he can let one stay and apply with one wife for Express Entry and one wife as not accompanying? He doesn't want to misrepresent himself and state that he has only one wife.

Thanks
He needs to choose one.
Is he really legally married to the two? Only one can be his legal wife

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Asking for a friend

Thanks
Canada will only recognise the first of the existing marriages. The second marriage will be treated as if it never happened. Divorcing the first wife will NOT change this. He would have to legally (to Canadian standards) remarry the second wife AFTER divorcing the first.

Bigamy is a crime in Canada.

mowaiskhalid

Star Member
Sep 23, 2017
Canada will only recognise the first of the existing marriages. The second marriage will be treated as if it never happened. Divorcing the first wife will NOT change this. He would have to legally (to Canadian standards) remarry the second wife AFTER divorcing the first.

Bigamy is a crime in Canada.

Thanks. You have provided the most logical answer. I think situation is impossible for him now.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Raz0r

Jul 9, 2017
Asking for a friend

Thanks
I believe he would not be able to apply for PR, since it is not allowed to have 2 wives. Good luck.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I believe he would not be able to apply for PR, since it is not allowed to have 2 wives. Good luck.
He can apply but as far as Canada is concerned, only the first wife exists...

Reactions: scylla

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Yes, think in Islam it is legal to have more than one wife.
Only if not prohibited by law in the country in which you reside. Islam is a religion, not a country. Country law takes precedence.