+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Having problem applying PGWP due to previous suspension

nbczb1996

Jul 25, 2019
Hi there, I just graduated from U of T in computer engineering major, but now I am really concerned about applying for PGWP as I was previously suspended for eight months. So after I finished the Winter term of my second year in April 2017, I was forced to withdraw for 8 months and come back to school in Dec 2017 to repeat the term.

I know my study is not continuous, but I find that based on the new policy, "If the officer determines that the student actively pursued studies during their leave, the student may still be eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program", and the definition for actively pursued studies is " a student on leave who begins or resumes their studies within 150 days from the date the leave commenced (that is, the date the leave was granted by the institution) is considered to be actively pursuing studies during their leave. "

Based on this policy, I am thinking is it possible to argue that, since I was suspended in April 2017, the time duration from April 2017 to September 2017 is not actually a mandatory summer term for my program, therefore I was only away from school for September 2017 to December 2017 which is less than 150 days and make me still eligible for PGWP.

I am really hoping my arguement makes sense but still that's just my own thoughts. I really appreciate some advice or suggestion as my study permit expires in a week and I need to submit PGWP application online asap. I am considering to ask for a letter of explanation from school to argue that I am only away for a Fall term too.

Reactions: Iamrut

Iamrut

Apr 14, 2020
Hi there, I just graduated from U of T in computer engineering major, but now I am really concerned about applying for PGWP as I was previously suspended for eight months. So after I finished the Winter term of my second year in April 2017, I was forced to withdraw for 8 months and come back to school in Dec 2017 to repeat the term.

I know my study is not continuous, but I find that based on the new policy, "If the officer determines that the student actively pursued studies during their leave, the student may still be eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program", and the definition for actively pursued studies is " a student on leave who begins or resumes their studies within 150 days from the date the leave commenced (that is, the date the leave was granted by the institution) is considered to be actively pursuing studies during their leave. "

Based on this policy, I am thinking is it possible to argue that, since I was suspended in April 2017, the time duration from April 2017 to September 2017 is not actually a mandatory summer term for my program, therefore I was only away from school for September 2017 to December 2017 which is less than 150 days and make me still eligible for PGWP.

I am really hoping my arguement makes sense but still that's just my own thoughts. I really appreciate some advice or suggestion as my study permit expires in a week and I need to submit PGWP application online asap. I am considering to ask for a letter of explanation from school to argue that I am only away for a Fall term too.
Hi am in a similar situation too. Can you please let me know what happened after that. Did you get the work permit?