+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Having no status in canada and criminal charge

MD1981

Jun 4, 2013
Hi there. Ive been in canada for 5 years now and while here i got involved in an accident which resulted in me being charged with assault causing. I served 80 days for it and then 15 months probation which passed recently. Now im looking for help where to go. I am married here and my wife and children are canadian.

Ive been told conflicting stories from various people/lawyers as to the best course of action from here. Does anyone have any experience in this or can point me in the right direction lawyer wise as ive been quoted around $7,000 to represent me. Its my life savings so i want to be sure of the best.

I cannot lose my wife and kids over this :(

perry.w1224

Star Member
May 6, 2016
Markham
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila / CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2016
AOR Received.
08-03-2016
Med's Done....
22-10-2015
Passport Req..
03-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
18-10-2016
LANDED..........
18-10-2016
I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. You should probably search up immigration/criminal lawyers and see what they can suggest you to do.

Do you plan on getting some sort of residency? You've been 'visiting' Canada for 5 years?

You can always argue that you were obediently serving your time and you got a pardon for it. Also since your family is Canadian you can argue under compassionate grounds as well.

I'm no lawyer but you sound like you needed one (whatever crime you committed)

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
perry.w1224 said:
I'm sorry to hear you're going through this. You should probably search up immigration/criminal lawyers and see what they can suggest you to do.

Do you plan on getting some sort of residency? You've been 'visiting' Canada for 5 years?

You can always argue that you were obediently serving your time and you got a pardon for it. Also since your family is Canadian you can argue under compassionate grounds as well.

I'm no lawyer but you sound like you needed one (whatever crime you committed)
His title is "having no status in Canada".

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
perry.w1224 said:
As far as I can see, he's currently inadmissible to Canada and will have to obtain a record suspension (formerly a pardon) from the Parole Board of Canada: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5312ETOC.asp

I don't think H&C can overcome criminality. He has to deal with the criminality issue.

I don't think this is a do it yourself case. I would hire a lawyer.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I agree with scylla. You are now criminally inadmissible to Canada. If it was a summary conviction, it will be 5 years from the date of completing probation before you can even apply for a record suspension.

As you are out of status and criminally inadmissible, you should be prepared for CBSA to realize this at any point and start removal proceedings against you.

I don't believe there is any lawyer out there who will be able to argue H&C when you have an assault conviction.

You should really think about returning to your country and how you can take your family with you.