+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Having a travel document and a passport

ihaveadog

Apr 7, 2018
Good Morning,

I'm hoping someone can answer this question for me.

When I got my PR, I never had a passport( complicated issue). I applied for a travel document, but the government gave me a certified of Identity and I've been using that to travel and I also have a U.S visa in the Certified Identity. Because I was able to travel, I was able to get my national passport from the embassy in the U.S( My countries embassy in Canada doesn't issue passports only in the U.S). I'm traveling to Europe soon and I'm using my national passport to travel. When I come back, would it cause an issue since I own both a certified identity and a passport? I will not be bringing the certified identity with me when I travel, that will be at home, I'm just worried it might cause an issue at the border when I come back. I plan on travelling to the U.S when I come back and I would need to use my travel document since my visa is on that document.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Are you a refugee? If so, that would cause a problem, in fact the very idea that you have a passport from your home country would cause a significant issue.

ihaveadog

Apr 7, 2018
Are you a refugee? If so, that would cause a problem, in fact the very idea that you have a passport from your home country would cause a significant issue.
My father was a refugee, and he sponsored me. That's how I got my PR card

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
My father was a refugee, and he sponsored me. That's how I got my PR card
This may be an issue. You may want to contact a lawyer to see if you using the home country passport - which your father fled - jeopardizes anything. It may not, but it's still top of the list of things you're not supposed to do as a refugee.

Reactions: cansha and YVR123