+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have you tried the Globe and Mail's New Citizenship Calculator?

vanmover

Jan 31, 2015
Firstly, I think it's pretty misleading that this has been published by a national newspaper considering Bill C6 hasn't even gone through yet... but anyway... has anyone else seen this? I'm pretty sure it's wrong? It's given me different dates every time. Has anyone else tried it?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/citizenship-calculator/article34574747/

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
vanmover said:
Firstly, I think it's pretty misleading that this has been published by a national newspaper considering Bill C6 hasn't even gone through yet... but anyway... has anyone else seen this? I'm pretty sure it's wrong? It's given me different dates every time. Has anyone else tried it?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/citizenship-calculator/article34574747/
Yes, there have been many wrong results reported already. Better to ignore it.

vanmover

Jan 31, 2015
OK good, glad it's not just me... I'm a journalist and have worked on the Globe so I've emailed the section editor to let him know.

vanmover

Jan 31, 2015
Also, regarding absences, is it just me or is this really unclear (from CiC site):

Q4: When I try to calculate my absences, I get different numbers than the physical presence calculator. How does the physical presence calculator determine the number of days for each absence?

A3: The calculator uses the following rules to determine the number of days absent for each absence declared:

When calculating an absence, neither the day you leave Canada nor the day you return is considered an absence. Both are counted as days of physical presence. For example, an absence between July 1, 2013 and July 15, 2013 equals 13 days of absence. As another example, if you leave Canada on July 1, 2013 and return on July 2, 2013, this equals 0 days of absence. You must still declare this as an absence.
An absence on February 29 (leap day) is counted as an absence or is credited as a presence.
The total number of days absent includes all absences from Canada within the six-year period immediately preceding the date of your application, or since you became a permanent resident, whichever is most recent.

So.... does the day you leave Canada and day you return count as presence or not? The above says they count, but then in the next sentence seems to contradict that, saying you have to report it as an absence?!

Thanks,

walktheline

Star Member
Oct 28, 2016
Such irresponsible media, publish inaccurate and misleading information even it has not become law yet.

But IRCC also has to be blamed as it does not provide any official clarification and warning information to allow such "fake news" speculating.

I remember both UK and Australia immigration departments put highlighted information on their websites to warn people when any bills were reading. Even CIC did the same under Jason Kenney and Chris Alexander management including during C-24 reading period.

Divine Favour

Star Member
Feb 22, 2014
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
Dec 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 2014
Med's Done....
Nov 2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
May 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May 2014
LANDED..........
July 2014
like the calculator they gve u results for the current act and proposed amendment....nice

canadasucks

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vanmover said:
So.... does the day you leave Canada and day you return count as presence or not? The above says they count, but then in the next sentence seems to contradict that, saying you have to report it as an absence?!
No. Essentially if you live near border such as Windsor, you can go to Detroit to work every day and spend no more than one night at a time in Detroit for 4 years and not be counted single day absence from Canada.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
vanmover said:
No, it's not a contradiction. You have to report the absence, as in: you have to list it in your application. But it counts as zero days of absence. It's like listing a 0 Dollar item on a restaurant bill. Still listed, but its for free :)